I'm back in a Yota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been on Mud for a while and have been through a few Toyota's FJ80, Pickup, 4Runner, and Tundra. Then for whatever reason I bought a Jeep Wrangler, it was fun and I built it into a very capable off-roader but I always missed owning a Toyota. So due to a unfortunate accident at a boat launch,, my Jeep sustained flood damage and was declared a total loss by my insurance. I started looking at Land Cruisers a few weeks ago and decided to get this one from a fellow mud member. I am flying out to Dallas, TX tomorrow to drive this 1992 FJ80 home. I am looking forward to getting back into a Toyota Land Cruiser,

@bhmmapping built that truck originally in Alabama, not sure if it was a direct transfer, or if there was some time in between, but @Bossman is who the Jade Bean folks got it from. He put the H55 in it I know and I'm not sure what else he may have done while he owned it. I do know that that truck has been on the Alaska Trek and was very well kept for most of it's life.

Good to see it coming back close to where it all started.

@bhmmapping built that truck originally in Alabama, not sure if it was a direct transfer, or if there was some time in between, but @Bossman is who the Jade Bean folks got it from. He put the H55 in it I know and I'm not sure what else he may have done while he owned it. I do know that that truck has been on the Alaska Trek and was very well kept for most of it's life.

Good to see it coming back close to where it all started.

Awesome, I am glad to hear some history on it Jade Bean has shared tons of information on it. I can't till tomorrow afternoon.

I’m about halfway home. No issues that I wasn’t aware of prior to purchasing. Leaking rear main seal, it’s not pouring but the trans is wet from oil. I did add some oil at my first gas stop, going to check this morning when I fill for the 2nd time.

The t case is annoyingly loud, I am told that it normal for the big bearing split case with twin sticks. It quiets down with a little pressure on the shifts, maybe it’s just transferring sound through twin sticks and body/shifter cover plate?

I was initially thinking of regearing to either 4.88 or 5.29 but the H55 is geared low and on 37s at 75mph the 3FE turning around 2800 rpms. I think going to a lower gear like 4.88s is going to push the rpms over 3k at highway speeds. I feel the 4.10 gears, H55, and 4.1 t-case gears are work great on the trail. Just need to get the rear locked.

I also need to get the speedo corrected, I didn’t know it was off and I’m not sure how many miles are on it since the H55 conversion. 50mph on the gauge is roughly 65mph on the gps and 60mph is 78mph. Not sure I can switch speedo drive gears at the transmission or if it has a electric speed sensor.

I may reinstall the front sway bar, it’s off and in the back of the 80. It has airbags in the rear springs, which I feel is reducing the swaying some currently. I will let the air out of them when I get home. It rides smooth for a 4wd on 37 inch tires and is 27 years old.

The last thing is the AC isn’t working, not that I need with the cooler temps moving in.

I have 624 miles to go, currently in Vicksburg Miss and plan to get back on the road around 0600. It feel great to be back in a Toyota.
5198B702-0763-44BC-AF7A-4505E9C102A6.jpeg
D54F019D-3E04-4015-A13E-F4D71F06619A.jpeg
01DF99B6-B65C-4094-9A20-AF13D570386D.jpeg

If your up to a ride, ACC is putting on a fall ride at choccolocco mtn orv next weekend (Nov 8-10). Come and hang out and meet some folks. There will be several GA folks there. I'd hoped to have my 91 back up to snuff for it, but looking like we'll be rolling in the gx this trip again.

If your up to a ride, ACC is putting on a fall ride at choccolocco mtn orv next weekend (Nov 8-10). Come and hang out and meet some folks. There will be several GA folks there. I'd hoped to have my 91 back up to snuff for it, but looking like we'll be rolling in the gx this trip again.
Some of Jeep friends are going to be there that weekend too. I’ve been to Chocco a few times, it’s a great park and not that far from me roughly 2 hrs.
There is also a event at River Rock that was thinking going too but most of friends will be at Choccolocco. So you may see me there too.
I have a few things I want to get quoted from ACC too. So unless I have something with work or family come up I’ll be there.

I made home and took off the fox wing awning because I’m going to put it on my RTT trailer.
297C8D5A-384E-4911-9BA9-03DFF516F87C.jpeg
563BDFD9-8A5C-4BC3-AA92-3A044D90BE4B.jpeg
3AB8C39C-6D31-409E-898F-F2EDD45765F4.jpeg
EE35DB46-F49E-4FD5-AACE-B906C5F01F7D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom