I'm at my absolute wits end- truck still overheating despite best efforts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My money is on a 'bad radiator'.

Wow.

LOL that'll be my new line when I'm lugging up the hill towards Tahoe: "We have to go slow because the engine is so over built for the HP!"

That is freaking hilarious...should I have typed TIFH?:hillbilly: Not good with modern techchatabreviations

Man, I didn't have my truck since the inception of this thread so I didn't know exactly where I would be. Today I went out and intentionally tried to get it as hot as possible. 40 mile trip at 80+- MPH. Boosted on the hills. A/C on high making it uncomfortably cold, came back idled on the asphalt for close to 20 min. I could only get to 206. Ambient was 103. There is definitely something going on. Do you lose the heat shields on the manifold when you install the SC?

Apologies if it has already been covered but did you try an industrial type fan out front and then rev the tits off it whilst stationary? Also how much more power is at the engine now compared to standard. So did you increase the radiator surface area by that amount? Are you still running the standard size radiator?
Apologies again as I fell asleep between page 33 and 48 so I could have missed this.:worms:

It has been quite the social experiment in crowdsourcing, no doubt. I do think that it has been pretty educational as well as pretty damn entertaining though, and ain't that what the internet is all about?(well, that and pron...)

'Cmon now kids, lets not be hatin'...

Last edited:
Apologies if it has already been covered but did you try an industrial type fan out front and then rev the tits off it whilst stationary? Also how much more power is at the engine now compared to standard. So did you increase the radiator surface area by that amount? Are you still running the standard size radiator?
Apologies again as I fell asleep between page 33 and 48 so I could have missed this.:worms:

Can't speak to the power increase from the overbore, but the supercharger increases HP and Torque by roughly 30%.

Poor NLXTACY staying up late trying to keep up with all the thread suggestions...

anigif_enhanced-9572-1396039188-8.gif

Poor NLXTACY staying up late trying to keep up with all the thread suggestions...

Joey would get alot more sleep if helpful posters would try reading the whole thread, or at least searching for their idea before posting. I can't believe how many repeat repeat repeat repeat the same things that have been hashed to death already. How in the hell is he supposed to get any work done if he has to keep reading REHASHED CRAP????

Joey would get alot more sleep if helpful posters would try reading the whole thread, or at least searching for their idea before posting. I can't believe how many repeat repeat repeat repeat the same things that have been hashed to death already. How in the hell is he supposed to get any work done if he has to keep reading REHASHED CRAP????

I agree to a degree:D, but there are probably 15 pages that I haven't read either and I would probably toss an idea out there if something came to mind that I thought could be helpful. No way I would read this entire thread or spend the time to search to see if my idea had already been suggested. This thread is just too dang long. I suggest Joey start a new thread on this:meh:

The whole point of this thread is to re-hash the crap. Really. I mean overheating in a supercharged 80 should be a thread 3 pages long, with a resolution at the end. This ain't that.

Instead, this is a free flowing conversation pondering about the wonder of over heating supercharged 80s that is now 57 pages long. 57 pages. It has sponsored numerous other "I'm at my wits end" posts and may soon rival TUT for the amount of useful information exchanged. It's awesome if you take a step back.

So Mr Inkpot, sit back and enjoy the Joey Show. It's pretty entertaining. I think we should rename it the Zen and the Budda. Although I don't know if Joey is the Zen or the Budda, but if he is the Budda - Pain is not optional, only suffering is optional.

To paraphrase John Cleese-We are the knights who formerly thought it was the thermostat and now think it's the radiator, with a side of clogged cats. Bring on the shrubbery. But I want to know how this movie ends.

It ends when he tosses the supercharged 3F and puts in a nitrous oxide injected 1F .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................which then overheats in traffic next summer.

Mine may be rusty but at least it runs cool...:rimshot:

It ends when he tosses the supercharged 3F and puts in a nitrous oxide injected 1F .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................which then overheats in traffic next summer.

Mine may be rusty but at least it runs cool...:rimshot:

It's not a 3f, it's a 1f+.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom