I'm at my absolute wits end- truck still overheating despite best efforts (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good luck with the exhaust, snorkel and water pump. Remember to measure 5 times before putting that 3 1/4" hole in your front quarter panel! :) Magnaflow - we let you back in to OC I guess?

When your engine is running hot, how hot is the oil on your dipstick? How does the oil look? When you did your rebuild did you refurb or replace your oil cooler?

I'd have to check on oil temp. I'm about to do an oil change anyhow. As for the oil cooler, for sure its not new.

That huge a$$ed snorkel hole is a real leap of faith, no doubt! Serious commitment that.

Hey, maybe that's why chicks dig snorkels? Shows a guy's not afraid of commitment?

Or is that 'not afraid of being committed' maybe? In the institutional sense that is? Meh, either way works as long as nobody gets hurt. Hey, mine looks awesome and also really sucks up the horseflies on some of my favorite trails. (Tuna can was half full of 'em after one run this spring.) So don't let anyone tell you snorkels are worthless! Besides, with global warming and rising seas and all that everybody's gonna want one pretty soon. You'll need one just to get to work! Who's gonna be laughing then?:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Are we going to have to wait 8 months to find out if the problem is truly resolved?
Man, this is like waiting for a new season of Game of Thrones or something...

Maybe more like the break in an episode of Rocky & Bullwinkle...

It's a lot cooler out now. Probably won't see any overheating threads until summer starts rolling around again, with the usual slew of threads.

I know of at least two really good "test drives" he can try his truck on at any time of the year :hillbilly: - both in AZ

took the LX on one of those yesterday: Smokey Mountain Road north of Page - uninterrrupted climb all the way to the top - no problems :flipoff2: (and I wasn't even driving - gave it to my brother, I took the Blazer)

That huge a$$ed snorkel hole is a real leap of faith, no doubt! Serious commitment that.

Hey, maybe that's why chicks dig snorkels? Shows a guy's not afraid of commitment?

Or is that 'not afraid of being committed' maybe? In the institutional sense that is? Meh, either way works as long as nobody gets hurt. Hey, mine looks awesome and also really sucks up the horseflies on some of my favorite trails. (Tuna can was half full of 'em after one run this spring.) So don't let anyone tell you snorkels are worthless! Besides, with global warming and rising seas and all that everybody's gonna want one pretty soon. You'll need one just to get to work! Who's gonna be laughing then?:flipoff2:

You're exactly right! When all the icebergs melt and the water rises in Florida, I'll be going to work as usual with the cruiser in 2 foot of water while everyone else is floating down the road in their Prius. I was specifically told that Florida would be mostly under water by 2016. And in recent news, they are confident that all of the glaciers in Florida are officially gone. I'm prepared. Good point.

Alright time for an update...

Too many things in my life went wrong over the past few months so I'm still trying to dig my way out. Most things have improved, some have not. Anyway, today it hit 89º here in West Hills today and while I was stuck as a slow left hand lane the truck went ahead and started heating up. It got to 202º which yes is well within safe range but its a warning that things are going to get worse. Good thing I've already been preparing.

I started last month by finally installing the Safari snorkel I've had collecting in my garage for the past two years. I'd been holding off for so long because it was supposed to part of another project. I finally said fxxx it. Only thing I did different with the install was use pop rivets instead of the stupid square plugs.

IMG_9695.JPG

The addition of the snorkel actually made a noticeable difference. At WOT I could hear the inrush of air which was neat but the net affect was my AI temps dropped dramatically. My AI temps now read +/- 20º of ambient. Sooo much better than 70º above ambient. Still, not enough to be preventing the motor from getting too hot. Well, I can at least check that off my list.

So fast forward to today and I now have a new OEM water pump, more OEM RED coolant, LANDTANK's new orange hub machined clutch AND I finally got in the CA legal Flowmaster CATS and Y-pipe. Between all of this now I should have this stupid thing licked!

Before I replace the exhaust I need to:
• Either ceramic coat or VHT paint the cats. Well, I don't "need" to I guess.
• Need to drill a hole for the EGT probe
• Need to weld in an O2 sensor bung for the Wideband

Before I replace the water pump I need to:
• Install a water temp sensor in the lower hose

IMG_9790.JPG

Joey I use my scanguage and another temp sensor after the intercooler to get pre-post temp readings

Your snorkel temps are in line with other friends w them

Yes true IAT. Right now you're only getting the temp before it is compressed, you don't know what the actual temp is after the supercharger has its way with the air.

While cooler temps before the SC are almost always good, it doesn't correlate to what is really happening for example. Let's say you are pulling Eisenhower pass, you start at the bottom and you see temps pre SC of 95 degrees, you drive all the way up, gaining altitude while the outside air temp drops. But you're running a constant few pounds of boost the whole way. At the top your current setup will show that IAT's have gone down because the ambient temperature has gone down but in reality maintaining positive manifold pressure for extended periods will mean the air coming out of the SC is actually much hotter.

Last edited:
Hang in there Joey! Interesting info on the snorkel. I just figured it 'might' drop intake temps a little, but was just a great conversation starter and a way to get people to stare at the truck and point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom