Im an Idiot and lost all the keys for my 2004 LX470 -now what (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im most likely the guy to blame here but I also have suspicions of my 8 month old doing something with it. I only had one key when I got the car and Im not sure if I have a credit card key or not (car has had multiple owners). So with no keys what are my options? Is there anyone online that can cut a key with the vin? I dont mind calling a locksmith to program if needed. Ive ordered a slim jim so I can pop the door open when Im home again next weekend. maybe just maybe there could be a credit card key in the glove box but with how much stuff was missing from my car when I bought it -chances are slim.... I really dont want to have this towed to the dealer and have to pay a small fortune for this...

Here she sits, at least its not in the driveway and in the way.

thumbnail_IMG-5273.jpg

If you go to the your local Lexus dealer’s parts counter, they can give you your “Key Number” which can be used to cut a new key.

A good locksmith can do all of it for you.

But the 'key' I.D./Cut will have to be determined by the VIN at this point and that would involve a dealership being willing to tell the locksmith, unless you have info in the glove compartment. After that....a key (or keys) can be made. But the ECM will have to be reflashed before the new key(s) can be programmed.

Dealership or Locksmith can do all of the above, I would inquire about the pricing from both.

It’s my understanding that the later model ECUs can be reset in place, without a @Mauser EEPROM replacement.

If you have TechStream, maybe Mauser can help with a reset, but you’d still need a key (or keys) cut from the VIN number (usually at the dealer)

A local locksmith could probably resolve the issue.

The most expensive solution would be to tow it to a dealer, and have them resolve it.

Thanks everyone for all the info -So could the key code be in the owners manual if the credit card key isnt?

Thanks everyone for all the info -So could the key code be in the owners manual if the credit card key isnt?

Maybe, but after multiple owners, unlikely.

Not in the owners manual but on a card supplied with the owners manual and other literature.

For instance my Key Code is O0702 (99 LX470)

Current update -I order a new "Lexus" key from a dealership. This morning I drove to the dealer and showed them proof of ownership and they Cut the key for me. I can now open all the doors. However the igintion will not sart (yes I knew this would be the outcome). Ive now got a locksmith on the way to hopefully program this -I hope it doesnt end up costing a ton of money for this service.

If you only got one key cut at the dealer, you may want the locksmith to make a second master key, so you don’t end up in the same boat again.

I was just thinking -It would be great if someone on this site offered a service where you could mail them the ecu and a key and them program it. Id rather pay someone on here to do the work.

Talk to @Mauser. I seem to recall he's our resident expert on ECU reprogramming.

Edit: not sure about your 2004MY, but it's worth an ask.

I was just thinking -It would be great if someone on this site offered a service where you could mail them the ecu and a key and them program it. Id rather pay someone on here to do the work.

There are folks here that can re-flash your ECU. Programming the key isn't difficult after that. The owner of the vehicle can do that

I can do that for 1998-2002, and do offer this service. After that it is all done onboard. It is really simple if you have access to Techstream.

Ok so final update -locksmith shows up and connected his gizmo. Smashes a few buttons and bam $175 later everything works. Moral of the story... get a spare key dummy....

Ok so final update -locksmith shows up and connected his gizmo. Smashes a few buttons and bam $175 later everything works. Moral of the story... get a spare key dummy....
Not just one!!! Get multiple! I have Two FOB style that I have and then one standard key that is hidden on the vehicle and one standard that is at the house. Not that hard to get all of them programmed to the system and if nothing else, you can take to your local dealer with a main master and have them wipe all the keys in the system (aside from that main master) and then program all the existing. The system can usually only hold a max of 8-10 keys.

Not just one!!! Get multiple! I have Two FOB style that I have and then one standard key that is hidden on the vehicle and one standard that is at the house. Not that hard to get all of them programmed to the system and if nothing else, you can take to your local dealer with a main master and have them wipe all the keys in the system (aside from that main master) and then program all the existing. The system can usually only hold a max of 8-10 keys.

Same for me. I have a set (FOB style) Wife has a set (FOB style), we have a spare key (transponder only) hidden on the vehicle and finally another as a spare in my bedside table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom