I'm a new owner and man this thing is great! A 99 LX470 has a new home. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After much research on this site, I decided to pull the trigger on a ‘99 LX470. I had initially wanted a 4Runner but after learning more about the LC’s, I was hooked. I had looked at a few LC’s around town(Denver), and further, but didn’t feel comfortable(higher mileage, smokers cars, etc.) pulling the trigger until I found this LX. As mentioned on this site, they happened to be more plentiful in the used market and, somehow, cheaper. I’m hoping I made the right decision. I went from a Jeep Wrangler, to a Jeep Cherokee, and then most recently a Hyundai Elantra. I moved to Denver around 2 years ago and ever since had my eyes on Toyota's. Coming from a Hyundai, wanting an LC, but ending up in a Lexus, leads to confusing conversations. I say Lexus, and people think I wanted to buy a status symbol. Then hear 99, and get confused. Meanwhile, I’m trying to explain what a Land Cruiser is, what a quality machine it is, and why 150k is not a lot of mileage. Regardless, every single day that I’m behind the wheel it blows my mind that I spent less than $10,000 and this is what I’m driving. Looking around at what costs as much or more, I see so much…crap. Less capable, less reliable, borderline disposable automotive crap. Anyways, before I jinx myself talking bad about other vehicles, I’m just gonna finish this introduction by saying I’m very happy with my choice and thank you to everyone on this site for creating such an incredible resource.

I’ll upload pics soon but the specs are: 99 LX470, Black, tan leather, 154k miles, timing belt done around 90k, maintenance records, AHC fully functional, factory roof rack, 6 cd changer, wood trim, etc.

I’ve been searching the forum for a generally agreed upon listing of what should be done to baseline the vehicle. So far I’m gonna flush the fluids, synthetic oil change, new plugs, new wires, air filter.

Random quirks/issues/observations:

-Does anyone else find their outermost turn signal bezels tilting outward? I’ll have to check the mounting points for them, but I was wondering if this was a common problem.

-Parking brake doesn’t move. Does that happen to be a common thing, or just a random occurance?

-As with most, the in dash CD changer is inoperable, but I’m planning on removing that and adding a touchscreen with Bluetooth.

-2 rust-through spots on the upper rear tailgate. Does anyone have experience with this? I’m hoping to have it repaired instead of replaced since the quotes for a replacement job are around $2k.

-The leather is in decent shape. The passenger and rear seats are all surprisingly decent for being 15 years old. As expected, the driver’s seat is the most cracked/dried out. I bought some Lexol but I’m rather unimpressed with its performance. Will purchase some Leatherique in the coming months and try my hand at that.

-Passenger side window switch is broken-ish. It functions but the black switch lever itself is cracked. Same with one switch in the driver’s side panel. I imagine this is expensive to replace(?) so that will probably stay that way for a while.

-The steering wheel adjust only operates inward and outward, not up and down. Luckily, it’s current position works for me. I think I recall reading Tech articles about how to fix this on here.

-The shift position D on the dash is, as usual, not operational. But I think I like it that way.

-The retractable cup holder on the rear of the console is missing its cover plate. I’m assuming these are impossible to find and/or expensive so I’m thinking this will just have to stay that way.

-Rear bumper has a 6” or so crack in it. I don’t really care as ideally I’ll be replacing it with an offroad bumper, but if there are any cheap or easy fixes to make it easier on the eyes, please do chime in.

-I’d like to remove the running boards and third row seats in the future, as well as add sliders and bumpers.

Any recommendations or tips for a new owner are greatly appreciated. Also, if any of these are dumb questions or answered through a quick search, feel free to ignore them. Just wanted to say hello and that it’s good to be here. I look forward to learning a whole lot more over the coming months.

-JC

Quick cheap cosmetic fix for your seats. Switch the bottom half of the driver with the passenger seat. This way the racked portion on the drivers side that is visible will be on the passenger side hidden by the center console. Check junk yard for cup holder.

booyah thats a good tip, didn't know our seat are modular.

Grats on purchase JC!

My parking brake is also frozen from lack of use and rust from NE winters. No big deal but if you want to get it fixed, it will likely be a frozen e-brake pivot. There are two down there (one by each rear wheel) and it can be either one that's frozen or both. I needed one fixed but after doing so, the other side froze up too. Then I said f-it after that.

All window switches except for the driver master control are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. Just pull the broken ones and match the part# on Ebay.

Now go post some pics!

Welcome to the Lexus club.
You will love it.
I came from a Surf (Japanese imported 4Runner in Australia) to the LX470 and love it.
More power, more room and lots of comfort.

Welcome to the Lexus club.
You will love it.
I came from a Surf (Japanese imported 4Runner in Australia) to the LX470 and love it.
More power, more room and lots of comfort.

Congrats! I just picked up an '03 LC myself. Fun to have a new toy. That's quite a progression from Elantra to LX - only thing you probably miss is the gas mileage :) Now, as we say in other forums - THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

Thank you for the tips and warm welcome guys.

@chill will That's a great idea! I'm def gonna look into that.
@lhommec13 Thanks for the ebrake and switch info. To ebay I go!
@RND1 Thanks and congrats to you as well! I was reading your post and admiring your new toy earlier - she looks beautiful. My mpg and gas pump hit will certainly be different but I'm just gonna look at it as a Capability Tax.

Pics will be uploaded shortly!

Congrats! Yep, you have some of the typical issues. Don't worry about the ebrake. The window switch will be easy. The cup holder thing is hard to find, but sometimes on here, people talk about removing or replacing that center console. Find one of those people and ask for their cup holder thingy. If you switch your seats, you will then have to,look at the bad one all the time. If you leave it, you are always sitting on the old seat. Once it's ruined, there is no making it better. You can actually replace the leather. Look around on here. I would do all your fluids, like you said, especially your AHC. What color is that fluid?, should be light pink. The tailgate thing is going to be hard to fix. Keep eye out for a junk one or someone parting out their 100.

@Cfbrenton1 Thank you for the info. I haven't taken a look at the AHC fluid yet, but good to know what it *should* look like. Considering I'm not too far from Slee, I might take it there for the baselining. And to drool over new parts.
@SWUtah To craigslist I go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom