I'll be picking up an M416 trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I 'm winning bidder for on ebay. It's the first one I have seen close enough to make picking up a one day affair. Anyone else have one of these? Looks like I have to get a pintle hitch. Any suggestions /recommendations for rewiring to 12v? I'm going to have the interior sprayed with LineX'd or similar.

you'd think with 212 posts you would have seen at least 10 of the 100 or so recent threads about 416's.
do a quick search on the matter, there are alot of different ideas and builds. some really cool ones :beer:

I did a search this morning and have reading posts and following links to other pages for about the last two hours. There's a lot of info out there to be sure. I won't know exact condition until I pick it up but it looked pretty good in the photos, comes with a pair of extra wheels and tires , and is less than a two hour drive from me. We'll have to wat and see how much of a project this will become. :) I'll post some pics after I pick it up. Kind of interesting the 5 on 51/2" bolt circle is the same as my cruiser......hmmmm

Be sure to pull over after the first five to ten miles of towing for the first time then put your hand on the trailer wheel hubs, if it stays cool; it is packed with some good amount of ball bearing lube.

My M416 isn't ready after I picked it from the Marine Base. My in-depth inspection is not allowed on their military base after purchasing the trailer thru internet.

The trailer wheel hub was really HOT after five miles so I went to a nearest auto store and grab some rubber gloves and two cans of lube. After removing the wheel hub caps with large flat screw, there is no remaining of lube left. I removed the ball bearings for a sign of warp or deformed but only mild purplish.

I just stuffed new lube as much as possible with my hand (w/ rubber gloves) then after two more pull over on the highway to check the temp of wheel hubs. It remained cool for another 400 miles.

Snook,

thanks for the advice on the bearings. Seller claims he just repacked all the bearings and I'm hoping he's being honest about it but I'll pop the caps and check to see how they look.

What's an "Italian OverCamp"?

There are 2 yahoo groups. M416 and a Bantam Trailer group. I did a kinda resto mod. I kept the trailer mostly looking stock. I swapped all the 24v bulbs for 12v. I wanted to use the stock harness due to the wetherproofing of it. I ordered a new harness for it. Finally the military pigtail I cut off and installed a 7 prong (or whatever comes on stock pickups and suv's today) on the end. Basically it looks stock but hooks up to most vehicles. I even wired in the blackouts to come on with the brakes. I'm very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom