IKZ-TE Hot Starting Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I am having a strange starting issue with my 1KZ-TE 3.0L Turbo Diesel which is in my Automatic 1994 KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado.

When I start the engine in the morning it will start almost straight away. I always wait for the second click of the glow plug relay to sound before turning the key to crank the engine. The idling is usually pretty smooth with the occasional misfire which I believe may be due to the poor fuel here in Zambia. At the moment the temperatures are getting to around <10 degrees celcius in the morning.

When I try to start the engine when the car is hot the engine may take 6-8 cranks before the engine starts (often with a few misfires) and often quite a bit of smoke comes out. I just tested this morning and even after starting hot (after the many cranks) then turning off and immediately trying to start again it requires the many cranks to start.

I have tried:
1. 'Resetting' the ECU by disconnecting the batteries for a few mins. No change.
2. Pumping the fuel pump before hot starting. No change.

I did have a problem with the engine not starting at all a few weeks ago which turned out to be corrosion on the glowplug relay contacts preventing the relay from operating. The relay contacts were cleaned and the engine started.

Also this car did have a problem with a blown ECU last year which was then replaced by the previous owner.

I am pretty useless mechanically so does anyone have any ideas how to go about debugging?

Thanks,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom