Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man that's a good looking car! Agreed on the E90. Honestly I'm very comfortable with the e36 and previous BMWs, but anything newer and I feel like it would be worth the payments to buy a new car and have it under warranty, rather than buy a 5-10 year old M3 and have to deal with maintenance issues.
That's what I always hear but being a BMW fan myself I have not experienced that myself on the vehicles I've owned. I have had two E46 M3's, one with lower miles and one with higher miles and never had any issue with either. The higher mileage one was also tracked by the previous owner and myself quite a bit. I also owned an E90 M3 for some time and never had a single issue with that either. All three were bought used and did not have warranty. Maybe I'm just lucky in the models that I've had but I would guess people who actually have issues with the M models would be lower than it actually seems. The few are just very vocal. I've also owned a B5.5 A4 and B6 S4 of similar miles and both had a few handful of problems. Just important to buy something that wasn't beaten to death and if you care for it and do regular maintenance as recommended there shouldn't be too much reason to stress.

That's what I always hear but being a BMW fan myself I have not experienced that myself on the vehicles I've owned. I have had two E46 M3's, one with lower miles and one with higher miles and never had any issue with either. The higher mileage one was also tracked by the previous owner and myself quite a bit. I also owned an E90 M3 for some time and never had a single issue with that either. All three were bought used and did not have warranty. Maybe I'm just lucky in the models that I've had but I would guess people who actually have issues with the M models would be lower than it actually seems. The few are just very vocal. I've also owned a B5.5 A4 and B6 S4 of similar miles and both had a few handful of problems. Just important to buy something that wasn't beaten to death and if you care for it and do regular maintenance as recommended there shouldn't be too much reason to stress.

Hey buddy, I am not just saying this but you should replace those rod bearings. The bearings were bad in the S54 but the S65 took them to a new level. The metallurgy of the bearing (I'm no engineer, so bear with me) results in them lubricating fine until THEY DONT... then bam. Just like the S54 and S85 you also need to preemptively deal with the VANOS as well.

Hey buddy, I am not just saying this but you should replace those rod bearings. The bearings were bad in the S54 but the S65 took them to a new level. The metallurgy of the bearing (I'm no engineer, so bear with me) results in them lubricating fine until THEY DONT... then bam. Just like the S54 and S85 you also need to preemptively deal with the VANOS as well.
I don't own the vehicle anymore, just my Tacoma now. I've seen quite a wide range of wear on the rod bearings...often relating to how the vehicle is used...or abused. That certainly is an issue but if it is something known to need to be replaced then do it rather than just waiting for a big issue. There was also a group that tried to get people together and donate to hire lawyers to file a class action lawsuit against BMW for the bad rod bearings. They gathered people and even had a lawyer look into it and just like most things...it seemed much worse than it was portrayed. Maybe people just aren't reporting it to BMW but their reported defect rate for rod bearing failure was WAY below what would be required for a manufacturer to do a recall...and thus we haven't seen one. So they basically dropped it as there wasn't a strong enough case. While that doesn't prove there isn't an issue, you just have to understand when having a high performance sports car you can expect to do a little more maintenance to keep it running tip top.

I don't own the vehicle anymore, just my Tacoma now. I've seen quite a wide range of wear on the rod bearings...often relating to how the vehicle is used...or abused. That certainly is an issue but if it is something known to need to be replaced then do it rather than just waiting for a big issue. There was also a group that tried to get people together and donate to hire lawyers to file a class action lawsuit against BMW for the bad rod bearings. They gathered people and even had a lawyer look into it and just like most things...it seemed much worse than it was portrayed. Maybe people just aren't reporting it to BMW but their reported defect rate for rod bearing failure was WAY below what would be required for a manufacturer to do a recall...and thus we haven't seen one. So they basically dropped it as there wasn't a strong enough case. While that doesn't prove there isn't an issue, you just have to understand when having a high performance sports car you can expect to do a little more maintenance to keep it running tip top.

Yeah, with a lot of things online, the only people you hear from in forums and reviews are those who had problems. Tough to sort through that sometimes without the whole picture

Finally got around to rotating my tires, and found this on my rear shock:

mLs9NlQ.jpg

Not sure when this happened, but it looks like I hit something with enough force to bend the rock guard back, and then the shock hit it. I'll have to replace the boot, but luckily the shock is undamaged - just scratches.

BvDiR2j.jpg

That's some thick stainless steel, too. Fortunately I have spares -

osgg6dJ.jpg

Then got out on some trails.

kgzkM1E.jpg

5qXkjgw.jpg

58iPdpr.jpg

xb9Voo4.jpg

And for anyone interested, my ARB twin compressor fills my tires up from 10 psi to 40 psi in about 2 minutes. So I just set a timer and clamp the air hose handle down and don't have to sit next to the tire while airing up. ha

Finally got around to rotating my tires, and found this on my rear shock:

mLs9NlQ.jpg

Not sure when this happened, but it looks like I hit something with enough force to bend the rock guard back, and then the shock hit it. I'll have to replace the boot, but luckily the shock is undamaged - just scratches.

BvDiR2j.jpg

That's some thick stainless steel, too. Fortunately I have spares -

osgg6dJ.jpg

Then got out on some trails.

kgzkM1E.jpg

5qXkjgw.jpg

58iPdpr.jpg

xb9Voo4.jpg

And for anyone interested, my ARB twin compressor fills my tires up from 10 psi to 40 psi in about 2 minutes. So I just set a timer and clamp the air hose handle down and don't have to sit next to the tire while airing up. ha

I keep blowing fuses in my ARB twin especially on hot days. Seems to be a common issue. I need to see if I can increase the wire gauge. For nkw7, I just carry extra fuses rated at what it came with

I keep blowing fuses in my ARB twin especially on hot days. Seems to be a common issue. I need to see if I can increase the wire gauge. For nkw7, I just carry extra fuses rated at what it came with
Are you using ARB's wiring harness? I've used mine on some pretty hot days the last two years and have never had a fuse pop.

Are you using ARB's wiring harness? I've used mine on some pretty hot days the last two years and have never had a fuse pop.

Interesting. Yeah, same here, I've never had a problem. Are you connected with the ARB wiring? I had to extend mine but used the same gauge.

Yeah .. ARB harness is what I use. Where's yours located?? I have mine under the hood...get hot there .

Yeah .. ARB harness is what I use. Where's yours located?? I have mine under the hood...get hot there .

Yeah, same here. In the space on the passenger side where the AHC components used to be. Ran the harness up and around by the windshield to the battery and have had no problems yet.

How is the ride on the freeway with bead locks? Do you have balance issues?

They're great. Wouldn't guess anything was different. Took a good amount of weight to balance them right, but they're solid.

beautiful shot crossing the river

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom