Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current state:

aUhIuzB.jpg

1TeZuhr.jpg

9e6z8am.jpg

I had a Tacoma for several years but eventually decided I needed cab space instead of bed space. Was an awesome truck - lifted, 33s, front and rear lockers, compressor, regeared to 4.88s, skids, front bumper, snorkel, rear tire carrier, etc:

Tacoma%201_zpsv0p0lqz6.jpg

I'd always loved Land Cruisers and spent about a year shopping for one, running through everything from an imported diesel 70 series to an 80 series. In the end, the 100 won with its newer V8, reliability, and because I could find reasonably priced cruisers with decently low mileage.

2016-11-29%2013.51.01_zps7ml1zl64.jpg

Picked up this 2001 LX470 with 150K miles. Pros are a nearly perfect interior, grey on grey color scheme (never liked tan much,) and low miles.

Cons are an unrepaired front impact, but it's just a cracked bumper/bent bumper support but I knew I'd be dropping both of those when I pick up an ARB so it doesn't really matter. Also the thing drives like a boat, not sure if the AHC is supposed to be that bouncy or if the shocks are shot... either way, that's coming off asap when I lift it.

Slight surface rust underneath, but surprisingly about as much as my Tacoma had after 4 Utah winters.

2016-12-06%2017.57.36_zpsjwvsa7mk.jpg

First things first, ordered new tires and wheels, WeatherTech floormats, did the timing belt, water pump, and heater Ts.

Last edited:
Nice 100 Amigo!! Love the gray two tone color scheme!

Subscribed.

Land%20Cruiser2_zpshob1lmfs.jpg

Took the cruiser out on some local trails. I'm loving this thing. Didn't attempt anything too difficult in the snow but the 4WD and seat heaters are a great combo in 16° weather. haha

Land%20Cruiser1_zpsnlpvvetn.jpg

Land%20Cruiser3_zpsv0gpyjiz.jpg
Looks awesome. Like the BMW in the garage as well

Sub'd

Nice wheels. Nice stance

Looking good man. Like you I'm selling my Tacoma to pick up a LC. Guess this explains why I haven't seen you much on TW lately lol

Good start to the build, the reason it rides like a boat is because your accumulators (globes) are shot, they usually go out between 100-150K. Guess it doesn't matter since you're swapping out the unit for a lift. Any plan on a front bumper and rear? Your tacoma looks clean.

What are the 1552's mounted on?

Looks awesome. Like the BMW in the garage as well
Nice wheels. Nice stance

Thanks guys!

Looking good man. Like you I'm selling my Tacoma to pick up a LC. Guess this explains why I haven't seen you much on TW lately lol

Ha yeah. Plus I hadn't really touched my truck since the spring. Once I got the lockers and snorkel it was just about done. Spent the summer and fall wheeling it. Plus all my money went into my track car build. Good luck with the sale, you'll love it. I honestly haven't missed the Taco too much.

Good start to the build, the reason it rides like a boat is because your accumulators (globes) are shot, they usually go out between 100-150K. Guess it doesn't matter since you're swapping out the unit for a lift. Any plan on a front bumper and rear? Your tacoma looks clean.

Awesome, good to know. Yeah, OME lift is going on after Christmas. For bumpers I'll be using the 03+ ARB combo bar with the fog lights. Rear most likely Slee with a tire carrier and jerry can carrier. Ladder would be cool but not sure yet.

What are the 1552's mounted on?

ujSvqnh.jpg

Gutted E30 track/drift car. Those are the street wheels, will probably have a different set for the track.

Last edited:
Yeah I think my biggest fear of getting rid of the Tacoma is how much my kids will miss it and having a lot of regret. But hopefully I can slowly build up the LC. What are your plans suspension wise? You going to build this up as much as the Tacoma?

Thanks guys!

Ha yeah. Plus I hadn't really touched my truck since the spring. Once I got the lockers and snorkel it was just about done. Spent the summer and fall wheeling it. Plus all my money went into my track car build. Good luck with the sale, you'll love it. I honestly haven't missed the Taco too much.

Awesome, good to know. Yeah, OME lift is going on after Christmas. For bumpers I'll be using the 03+ ARB combo bar with the fog lights. Rear most likely Slee with a tire carrier and jerry can carrier. Ladder would be cool but not sure yet.

Gutted E30 track/drift car. Those are the street wheels, will probably have a different set for the track.

13962990_10154071689194475_6177388225447035782_o.jpg

I actually have a little youtube channel where my friend and I modify european cars:

Nice - I have soft spot of E30's, just put an M52 with S52 cams in my 318is! Good garage man, we have a lot in common, my Landcruiser is a panty-dropping LX, too!

Yeah I think my biggest fear of getting rid of the Tacoma is how much my kids will miss it and having a lot of regret. But hopefully I can slowly build up the LC. What are your plans suspension wise? You going to build this up as much as the Tacoma?

Yeah, it'll probably end up very similar. OME 3" heavy is going on in the next few weeks. Rear Slee bumper with tire carrier after that, then front bumper and lockers/gears. Roof rack at some point too. Might not do a snorkel again, we'll see.

Nice - I have soft spot of E30's, just put an M52 with S52 cams in my 318is! Good garage man, we have a lot in common, my Landcruiser is a panty-dropping LX, too!

That's awesome man! Yeah I just dropped an s52 in that 318i. My friend and I put an s50 in his Touring that he imported from Germany last year. We also have an e21 that we're going to do something with.. maybe a rally build.

Yeah, it'll probably end up very similar. OME 3" heavy is going on in the next few weeks. Rear Slee bumper with tire carrier after that, then front bumper and lockers/gears. Roof rack at some point too. Might not do a snorkel again, we'll see.

Very nice. I'm going to try to get over to Relentless fab this summer and have him make some custom bumpers for me as well as sliders. Should have a lift on it by that point. Have you messed with the torsion bars at all yet?

Very nice. I'm going to try to get over to Relentless fab this summer and have him make some custom bumpers for me as well as sliders. Should have a lift on it by that point. Have you messed with the torsion bars at all yet?

Not yet. I think if I cranked em a little I could level it out, but again I'll be replacing them with OME when the lift goes on, so haven't worried about it. Relentless makes good stuff, would be interesting to see his take on a 100 bumper. I had a Pelfreybilt on my Tacoma, but they don't do 100s unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom