Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

uF2XUDn.jpg

B1YjltN.jpg

Slee rear bumper showed up today. First time seeing one in person. This thing is nuts, I'm really impressed with the craftmanship.

Yfix2Bh.jpg

H8YU1tK.jpg

B1Bs3kC.jpg
Oh boy. This is getting good :popcorn:

MRAP jerry can holder -> I remember putting these through some absolute hell and they held up in some pretty rugged terrain in Afghanistan, getting smashed against boulders/mud huts. Can't beat the price.

Perfect, I do all my driving in and around mud huts. ha

Oh boy. This is getting good :popcorn:

It was. Gonna wait a bit. Just set up an appointment with the body shop for next week. I don't feel like installing it, taking it off for the rust repair and then installing again. So it's just sitting in the garage for now

Check out member @jno he just posted some awesome pictures of his hutchinson rock monsters on 315's.

Thought you might enjoy.

And after you look, then send me your PayPal so I can buy your F5's :D

0sraERS.jpg

As you might remember I have a rust hole right behind the rear driver's side tire, in the rear quarter panel. It's the only bad rust on the whole truck.

0CIJAC6.jpg

This is what it looks like from underneath. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Here's what's inside, and would be exposed to water and snow this winter...

CRyINdc.jpg

The right thing to do would be make a patch. I've seen a couple posts on here about it. I can weld a little but I'm not confident enough to tackle this yet. And I'd like to get my bumper on asap. Should I get this fixed immediately, or wait and see how the rust goes? I'm leaning toward just getting it done soon..
6F856F5E-639E-4CC7-89D3-866F3F0123C7.jpeg

I did the metal bending and fitting, then got a skilled welder to finish it. It was about an hour of shop labor, I did the rest. I checked with him first to make sure the approach I was taking to the bending, setup for his welding. We partnered.....

Check out member @jno he just posted some awesome pictures of his hutchinson rock monsters on 315's.

Thought you might enjoy.

And after you look, then send me your PayPal so I can buy your F5's :D

Checked it out, looks awesome! Unfortunately I like the F5s too much, will probably keep them as winter or street wheels/tires...

View attachment 1585607
I did the metal bending and fitting, then got a skilled welder to finish it. It was about an hour of shop labor, I did the rest. I checked with him first to make sure the approach I was taking to the bending, setup for his welding. We partnered.....

Nice! Looks great. I'm doing something similar this week. I might do an even simpler patch with no bend. We'll see. It's all covered up by the bumper anyway.

So there is all this talk about the perfect rear coil spring for a Slee rear bumper.
Sounds like people run anything from an 865+spacer, 860's (like yours), 863's, etc. People have complained about bottoming out, too much sway, too stiff, it only rides good fully loaded,etc - no one really sounds happy

Interested to know what your plans are - stick with the 860's and see how it goes? Personally sounds like the logical choice as they are already on the truck and the rear bumper may give it that little bit of squat that gives it a more level appearance.

Also since you sold your spare - are you picking up another F5 to run or just going to run it with no swingout?

Hurry and get that fender patched so I can see that bumper Installed!

So there is all this talk about the perfect rear coil spring for a Slee rear bumper.
Sounds like people run anything from an 865+spacer, 860's (like yours), 863's, etc. People have complained about bottoming out, too much sway, too stiff, it only rides good fully loaded,etc - no one really sounds happy

Interested to know what your plans are - stick with the 860's and see how it goes? Personally sounds like the logical choice as they are already on the truck and the rear bumper may give it that little bit of squat that gives it a more level appearance.

Also since you sold your spare - are you picking up another F5 to run or just going to run it with no swingout?

Hurry and get that fender patched so I can see that bumper Installed!

Working on it! ha I'm getting tired of leaving the bumper sitting in my garage.

I'll let you know about the springs. When I ordered my lift from Cruiser Outfitters I discussed my needs with them and we decided the 860s would be the best. I planned on this bumper for daily driving and at most when I'm loaded up I'll have some camera gear, a yeti, some camping gear - maybe 200lbs. So we'll see how the 860s work out for that.

And I have a spare already, matching F5 and 285/75 St Maxx

No offense to the OP’s great build thread for also replying. I’m happy with the tough dog tourflex from Trail Tailor and do consider the adjustable shocks. There is a tourflex thread.

Yeah I've heard great things. Didn't see it before I bought my OME lift. I'm just going to stick with OME for now and when I get done with other modifications and feel the need for better shocks I'm gonna have to spend some time researching and comparing Tough Dog/Ironman/Radflo/Slee/King/Icon.

mKTLxtL.jpg

Finishing up the installation of my rear bumper. Just have to wire up the license plate lights now.
tJH8pJ0.jpg

With the 860 springs, I think I actually need to dial down the TBs a little as I have very little rake. It rode a little funky today. I'm loading it up for a trip tomorrow, and if it sags too much I'll buy 863s next week.
u5iTHQK.jpg

EeQdazd.jpg

4ua0Uan.jpg

mKTLxtL.jpg

Finishing up the installation of my rear bumper. Just have to wire up the license plate lights now.
tJH8pJ0.jpg

With the 860 springs, I think I actually need to dial down the TBs a little as I have very little rake. It rode a little funky today. I'm loading it up for a trip tomorrow, and if it sags too much I'll buy 863s next week.
u5iTHQK.jpg

EeQdazd.jpg

4ua0Uan.jpg
Dang... Looks GOOD

Measured my down travel and found out I only had 1 inch.. no wonder it was pulling to the right and feeling super light. Cranked down the bars 1" and now it's riding great.
hlh35kC.jpg

Got out in the snow in Idaho this weekend -
HrJpuyK.jpg

2RDOhh0.jpg

SPCCNGA.jpg

bRbLBJ7.jpg

Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed watching this build, really well done.

The snow shots are awesome.

In the first image with the appropriate front end droop it looks like you have the 1" rake that the Land Cruiser 100 loves.

Also looks like the 860's are doing there job. Are they loaded up in these pics? How's the ride?

Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed watching this build, really well done.

The snow shots are awesome.

In the first image with the appropriate front end droop it looks like you have the 1" rake that the Land Cruiser 100 loves.

Also looks like the 860's are doing there job. Are they loaded up in these pics? How's the ride?

Thanks man! Yeah I think the rake is just about right. The 860s are doing fine. The ride is tons better with the bumpers on now, much more smooth. It's not loaded up in that picture. I had about 150 lbs of weight this weekend and it sagged a little, still had some rake, not quite level.

I like how it rides unloaded, which is how it is most of the time. But once I need to pack 400 lbs of camera gear, cooler, camping gear, etc... might need to move up to a new spring. I'm going to talk to @cruiseroutfit and see what they recommend.

Very, very nice build. Clean, purposeful. Super jealous of the terrain and vistas you got there in Utah. Here in Texas, everything is privately owned and you can't just roam around :(

Very, very nice build. Clean, purposeful. Super jealous of the terrain and vistas you got there in Utah. Here in Texas, everything is privately owned and you can't just roam around :(

Thanks! Yeah I've done some hunting in Texas and always felt like it would suck if you didn't have any hookups with ranchers. I'm all about the west and our BLM/Forest Service lands

Also don't forget these SCS F5s in your wheel search! ha

Your truck is my inspiration. Didn't you have some bronze F5's for a while?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom