Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FY7RNBS.jpg

eto6ogN.jpg

Much more visible than in the bumper.

DkiLaOU.jpg

2L6M9Mu.jpg

The only drawback is the plastic shavings I couldn't get out of the housing after cutting the mount. They all collected at the bottom and are not noticeable, I don't care at all.

lkNawtf.jpg

I realized once I was done that I forgot to get a good picture of the finished product. Will have to do that tomorrow.

rVS1lD5.jpg

Also I have this spare I don't need anymore. 255/85r16 Cooper ST Maxx. Bought summer of 2015, never driven on. Free to anyone who wants to pick it up - located in Salt Lake City, Utah

My last to do was the turn signals. I don't really like the ARB turn signals, so I decided to make my marker lights the turn signals, like in a 100. I was about to order 100 marker housings when I realized I could DIY it.
XJJ93dc.jpg

On the left is the marker housing and the right is the fog/turn signal housing from the LX bumper. I couldn't find any other write ups but I'm sure someone else has done this. Seemed simple enough so I started cutting.
3Cun4Vg.jpg

I measured and the turn signal and marker housings were almost identical except for the lightbulb mounting points. I cut the turn signal mounting/lock ring out of the fog/turn signal housing and cut off the marker light plug and enlarged the hole.
JUt8vnw.jpg

qSFgOBo.jpg

I filed everything down and cleaned it up a bit - not that it matters since no one will see this. Got the mounting surfaces smooth and bought some plastic epoxy.
6oeMGIM.jpg

2RdJv9n.jpg

LG60Ysv.jpg

A little messy but it's all weather sealed now. The epoxy was set after 20 minutes but I let it cure for 24 hours as it takes a little bit of force to get the O ring and lock to click into place on the turn signal.
ZelAk7w.jpg

Installed new bulbs (amber 7507)
gC0XuYq.jpg

M8vA42v.jpg

Success. The epoxy is very strong once it's cured. And now the turn signal has a solid mount and the O ring is sealed just as it was in the bumper.

Nice Skills. That's going to look clean and oem.. Bc it is!

That signal mod is awesome! Now if I only hadn't traded my stock front bumper for a bottle of rum....

Thank you for the picture. I was torn between the ARB and TJM T17. I'm leaning towards the arb after seeing that picture.

Thank you for the picture. I was torn between the ARB and TJM T17. I'm leaning towards the arb after seeing that picture.
Yeah I thought about the t17 as well, I like the look but wanted hoops. And I’ve never liked the tjm hoops, feel a little too big.

Are you from New Orleans? Guessing by your screen name. I used to live in Mandeville

5PsVymq.jpg

I think there are other bumpers with better approach angles but this is still much better than stock.
Since the installation of the bumper how's the ride? Improved? I ask bc there have been a few complaints about the ome shocks without weight..

Would love your take on it.

Since the installation of the bumper how's the ride? Improved? I ask bc there have been a few complaints about the ome shocks without weight..

Would love your take on it.
Yeah unloaded OME is rough. I’d say it’s a little better since adding the bumper. Never going to be as nice as Icon/Fox etc but I like the more firm ride and durability for the price.

AtMyZDZ.jpg

Got to work assembling the bumper and cleaning up some threads, getting ready for the installation.

uTf7DZs.jpg

All the recovery/tow points are M14x1.5 on the 2001 (Slee says 98-99 might have M12.) There's a couple of M12x1.5 as well that the Slee uses on the back of the frame.

Before:
ks79e2X.jpg

After:
B2sq4tC.jpg

Last edited:
0sraERS.jpg

As you might remember I have a rust hole right behind the rear driver's side tire, in the rear quarter panel. It's the only bad rust on the whole truck.

0CIJAC6.jpg

This is what it looks like from underneath. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Here's what's inside, and would be exposed to water and snow this winter...

CRyINdc.jpg

The right thing to do would be make a patch. I've seen a couple posts on here about it. I can weld a little but I'm not confident enough to tackle this yet. And I'd like to get my bumper on asap. Should I get this fixed immediately, or wait and see how the rust goes? I'm leaning toward just getting it done soon..

If it was me, I'd fix it now while that bumper is off. It's only going to get worse.

I love seeing other LX's out there getting rigged up! I have been looking at new wheels recently and will probably be getting a set when my coopers are done for. I'm really digging the offset and look of the wheels you have. You're gonna love the Slee rear bumper! Sometimes I wonder if I should have went with an ARB front bumper, but I'm extremely happy with the Slee blueberry so far coming up on two years.

When it comes time to get a spare fuel can carrier, I modified a military can holder from an MRAP that I got on eBay for (I think) $70. It only holds two compared to the three cans that the Slee carrier holds, but it was easy to mount and super cheap. I'll keep potable water inside the rear floorboard with a frontrunner reservoir.

IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd fix it now while that bumper is off. It's only going to get worse.

That's what I'm thinking too. Just took it to the body shop today and will have it patched up by next week.

I love seeing other LX's out there getting rigged up! I have been looking at new wheels recently and will probably be getting a set when my coopers are done for. I'm really digging the offset and look of the wheels you have. You're gonna love the Slee rear bumper! Sometimes I wonder if I should have went with an ARB front bumper, but I'm extremely happy with the Slee blueberry so far coming up on two years.

When it comes time to get a spare fuel can carrier, I modified a military can holder from an MRAP that I got on eBay for (I think) $70. It only holds two compared to the three cans that the Slee carrier holds, but it was easy to mount and super cheap. I'll keep potable water inside the rear floorboard with a frontrunner reservoir.

View attachment 1582421 View attachment 1582422

Nice! your LX looks great. I'm interested in that fuel can holder for sure. Don't know if I want three cans hanging off the back.

Nice! your LX looks great. I'm interested in that fuel can holder for sure. Don't know if I want three cans hanging off the back.
MRAP jerry can holder -> I remember putting these through some absolute hell and they held up in some pretty rugged terrain in Afghanistan, getting smashed against boulders/mud huts. Can't beat the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom