Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice pics. What's going on with your trim on the driver side front fender?

When I installed my sliders, even in the lowest position they touched the trim in the front. Then after a couple impacts in Moab, it bent the trim out and won't pop back in. I don't really care but it is a little annoying. I couldn't find anyone else with the problem.

9e6z8am.jpg

Exploring parts of Utah I haven't seen before - 100 miles on dirt on this route yesterday. Just touched pavement once halfway through.

WIs2cdn.jpg

36gh7ZT.jpg

0KB3Gg5.jpg

Most of the trail was between 9K and 11K feet. Temperature was 60°, a nice change from 100° in the valley.

Skyline? Nice photos btw.

When I installed my sliders, even in the lowest position they touched the trim in the front. Then after a couple impacts in Moab, it bent the trim out and won't pop back in. I don't really care but it is a little annoying. I couldn't find anyone else with the problem.
Oh that is interesting. Can you trim it an replace with new clips? Prob would be hard to notice the bottom was missing unless you were really looking under there.

Skyline? Nice photos btw.

Yeah, cool route. I went down to Gunnison and drove north to Tucker. Real nice to get out of the heat, and it wasn't too crowded yet, though I did see a lot of people setting up RVs, probably getting ready for bow hunting this month.

Oh that is interesting. Can you trim it an replace with new clips? Prob would be hard to notice the bottom was missing unless you were really looking under there.

Yeah, and I can also remove the slider and dremel it out where the slider hits it. I'll probably do one of those two things when I take off the sliders to add a body lift soon.

Yeah, and I can also remove the slider and dremel it out where the slider hits it. I'll probably do one of those two things when I take off the sliders to add a body lift soon.

If you body lift it though you'll be putting space between that trim and the slider anyway, so probably no need to dremel it. Just replace the clips and get that body trim looking pretty again.

If you body lift it though you'll be putting space between that trim and the slider anyway, so probably no need to dremel it. Just replace the clips and get that body trim looking pretty again.

Oh of course. didn’t even think of that. Ha, thanks

Seriously great build thread, love it man. Looks like you hit Skyline just before the fire - can still see the sky, ha! Beautiful views, haven't been down that way in years.

Seriously great build thread, love it man. Looks like you hit Skyline just before the fire - can still see the sky, ha! Beautiful views, haven't been down that way in years.

Thanks man! Yeah, I felt lucky to get those views - I think the fire started just a few days after I went through.

Great build man! LX470 owner here as well and I'm loving what you did with yours.

Also an ex-BMW guy here (although I guess I still own a e36/8 that I never really drive, lol)... so I like your plastic bumper e30 track car.

You should look past the ISF and join the 100 series + RCF club. :D

Great build man! LX470 owner here as well and I'm loving what you did with yours.

Also an ex-BMW guy here (although I guess I still own a e36/8 that I never really drive, lol)... so I like your plastic bumper e30 track car.

You should look past the ISF and join the 100 series + RCF club. :D

Thanks man. I do like those RCFs a lot - same v8 as the ISF right? Do you have one?

Though if I was going to spend that kind of money I think I’d be more tempted to get a new m3/4...

Thanks man. I do like those RCFs a lot - same v8 as the ISF right? Do you have one?

Though if I was going to spend that kind of money I think I’d be more tempted to get a new m3/4...
RCF is slower then an ISF. It’s a big boat. A lot of people regretted going to an RCF from an ISF. Probably why their sales suck as well.

RCF is slower then an ISF. It’s a big boat. A lot of people regretted going to an RCF from an ISF. Probably why their sales suck as well.

Interesting. That's unfortunate. I wonder if they realized they were undercharging for M3 level performance. I wish they still offered that performance in the IS line cause I'm all about fast sedans.

Yep, I have one. Clean, well condition RCFs are good amount cheaper than F80/82s. To get into an F80 that was in comparable condition to my RCF it would have been 8k more. Plus clean ISFs are holding their value pretty well after their initial large hit. If that one you saw for 22k was clean and reasonable miles, it was definitely below market.

No its not. Having decent seat time in both and also an F80, they are all different vehicles. The RCF is more GT-esque than the F82, but it also is still naturally aspirated and has the nicest interior in its class. You should be trapping between 112 and 113, which is probably slightly ahead of an ISF, but behind the F82. But who really cares, it's a street car DD, not a track car.

ISF is a cool car, but it's not really in the same league if you are looking for a car with all the modern bells and whistles to DD 70% of the time like I was. The in car tech has moved forward a good amount each generation.

I own a 2012-ISF, and driven a 2016 RCF.

Although I think the RCF is faster in a straight line, I will NEVER trade my ISF for an RCF after driving it. Sure the interior is nicer and faster than my ISF, but the driving experience is not as fun. It is not as fun taking the corners. I feel like I'm driving a fortress, heavy and limited visibility. I might consider going into a GSF later down the road.

But I would take an E90 M3 6-speed if they were more reliable and lower maintenance cost. That car is just a beast around the corner

Ok. done with the thread hi-jack. :rofl:
nzQ8bp5.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I have one. Clean, well condition RCFs are good amount cheaper than F80/82s. To get into an F80 that was in comparable condition to my RCF it would have been 8k more. Plus clean ISFs are holding their value pretty well after their initial large hit. If that one you saw for 22k was clean and reasonable miles, it was definitely below market.

No its not. Having decent seat time in both and also an F80, they are all different vehicles. The RCF is more GT-esque than the F82, but it also is still naturally aspirated and has the nicest interior in its class. You should be trapping between 112 and 113, which is probably slightly ahead of an ISF, but behind the F82. But who really cares, it's a street car DD, not a track car.

ISF is a cool car, but it's not really in the same league if you are looking for a car with all the modern bells and whistles to DD 70% of the time like I was. The in car tech has moved forward a good amount each generation.
I don't know official numbers, but my brother has a 2012 ISF as well and has had it for many years and we've driven RCFs plenty of times (lots of our buddies have them). It just doesn't feel as fast or nimble. It just feels like a heavy pig compared to an ISF. Not really interested in trap times etc. If THAT is your goal, then neither an IS-F or RC-F is a great platform for that as they are both 12 second cars at best without getting into some stupid expensive mods like the RR supercharger etc. I guess we are also spoiled that we have a built 900+WHP SC300 so that satisfies the straight line speed. I may be slightly biased in saying an RCF is slow.

D4F51BD1-74B0-4B54-B1F1-CF8355537663.jpeg

FA21132C-8273-4A74-897A-1DEAA7CB9869.jpeg

Dudes, start a thread in off topic or something. This is Ikarus's build thread.

Sorry I helped derail the build thread Ikarus... Again, awesome truck!

I own a 2012-ISF, and driven a 2016 RCF.

Although I think the RCF is faster in a straight line, I will NEVER trade my ISF for an RCF after driving it. Sure the interior is nicer and faster than my ISF, but the driving experience is not as fun. It is not as fun taking the corners. I feel like I'm driving a fortress, heavy and limited visibility. I might consider going into a GSF later down the road.

But I would take an E90 M3 6-speed if they were more reliable and lower maintenance cost. That car is just a beast around the corner

Ok. done with the thread hi-jack. :rofl:
nzQ8bp5.jpg

Man that's a good looking car! Agreed on the E90. Honestly I'm very comfortable with the e36 and previous BMWs, but anything newer and I feel like it would be worth the payments to buy a new car and have it under warranty, rather than buy a 5-10 year old M3 and have to deal with maintenance issues.

I don't know official numbers, but my brother has a 2012 ISF as well and has had it for many years and we've driven RCFs plenty of times (lots of our buddies have them). It just doesn't feel as fast or nimble. It just feels like a heavy pig compared to an ISF. Not really interested in trap times etc. If THAT is your goal, then neither an IS-F or RC-F is a great platform for that as they are both 12 second cars at best without getting into some stupid expensive mods like the RR supercharger etc. I guess we are also spoiled that we have a built 900+WHP SC300 so that satisfies the straight line speed. I may be slightly biased in saying an RCF is slow.

View attachment 1776494

View attachment 1776495

So sick! Yup, I'll have to test drive the RCF at some point. I've got friends with 600+ hp GTIs and RS3s, etc. so I can just borrow one of their cars if I ever feel like running a 10 out at the drag strip.

Dudes, start a thread in off topic or something. This is Ikarus's build thread.

Sorry I helped derail the build thread Ikarus... Again, awesome truck!

Haha no worries man. I don't really care if things get off topic in here. I do think it's pretty cool we all have such similar taste in cars. This has been my favorite forum by far

Man that's a good looking car! Agreed on the E90. Honestly I'm very comfortable with the e36 and previous BMWs, but anything newer and I feel like it would be worth the payments to buy a new car and have it under warranty, rather than buy a 5-10 year old M3 and have to deal with maintenance issues.

So sick! Yup, I'll have to test drive the RCF at some point. I've got friends with 600+ hp GTIs and RS3s, etc. so I can just borrow one of their cars if I ever feel like running a 10 out at the drag strip.

Haha no worries man. I don't really care if things get off topic in here. I do think it's pretty cool we all have such similar taste in cars. This has been my favorite forum by far

Haha well in that case, I'd recommend staying away from the E90. Personal bias aside (I've owned 3 M3's and I think the e90 is the worst iteration by far) rod bearings are a MUST as soon as you buy the car, and plan on replacing them every 60k just for peace of mind. IMO you better LOVE that chassis and engine (which confuses me anyway, but I digress) to own that vehicle because its a PITA.

@Kabanstva - None of these cars are *fast*, I am with ya. I was merely pointing out that while the ISF has a cult following that enjoys talking it up vs the RCF, in reality the RCF seems to test as the slightly faster car... and I think the talk of the ISF being so much more nimble is overblown... but it does feel a more 'BMWish' than the RCF, which is setup for more understeer than the ISF. However it isnt that hard to push the chassis and get it feeling neutral, and it will oversteer if you push it. That is why I think the car is best described as a great GT car, rather than a true F82 competitor. Its a different car than an M3.

For whoever pointed it out, the RCF does have horrible visibility. Thank god for blind spot monitors, haha. Technology can be pretty sweet. :)

Haha well in that case, I'd recommend staying away from the E90. Personal bias aside (I've owned 3 M3's and I think the e90 is the worst iteration by far) rod bearings are a MUST as soon as you buy the car, and plan on replacing them every 60k just for peace of mind. IMO you better LOVE that chassis and engine (which confuses me anyway, but I digress) to own that vehicle because its a PITA.

@Kabanstva - None of these cars are *fast*, I am with ya. I was merely pointing out that while the ISF has a cult following that enjoys talking it up vs the RCF, in reality the RCF seems to test as the slightly faster car... and I think the talk of the ISF being so much more nimble is overblown... but it does feel a more 'BMWish' than the RCF, which is setup for more understeer than the ISF. However it isnt that hard to push the chassis and get it feeling neutral, and it will oversteer if you push it. That is why I think the car is best described as a great GT car, rather than a true F82 competitor. Its a different car than an M3.

For whoever pointed it out, the RCF does have horrible visibility. Thank god for blind spot monitors, haha. Technology can be pretty sweet. :)

For sure. That's my biggest complaint about the e46 M3. Would love to buy one, but even if you manage to find a clean, manual, non-abused/raced model, (still 20K+) you still have rod bearings and subframe cracking issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom