Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1990 HDJ81. RHD, 1-HDT.

My 1990 HDJ81 had different flares to Aussie spec 80s. Different shape, different width.

Early Aussie spec 80s had a narrow flare. I think mid '93 onwards the flare width increased along with the change to 16x8" wheels.

I'm not sure how that correlates with US models.
Also not sure if there was a change for JDM models over the years

Well, when I go to the link and check to see if it will fit my vehicle, it says no bueno. I can’t imagine that 7 years would make that much difference. Go for it or run run away?

There are 3 variants of flares and fenders.

Simple refresh on the brake and accelerator pedals:

2023-06-19 13.46.07.jpg

Before:

2023-06-19 14.47.12.jpg

During:

2023-06-19 14.48.03.jpg

After:

2023-06-19 14.51.07.jpg

Parked the cruiser for what could be a few weeks of work.

2023-06-19 15.48.05.jpg

Started to prep for the intercooler install by dismantling the front end. Cleaned up the bugs and rocks on the AC condenser and straightened out bent fins.

2023-06-19 16.07.15.jpg

2023-06-19 16.14.25.jpg

I have a slow coolant leak from the silicone hoses that came installed on the cruiser when I bought it. I'll be refreshing the coolant hoses with all OEM and I'm tempted to switch the aluminum made in China radiator to an OEM radiator at the same time.

2023-06-19 16.14.39.jpg

I'm also considering deleting the JDM headlight washers since I never use them. I'd leave the nozzles on the front since they're a part of the housing, but remove all the hose behind the grill. Just trying to simplify things.

2023-06-19 16.34.07.jpg

This is standing in front of the bumper looking down. The hose is outlined in red and connects to the bottom of the headlight housing.

2023-06-19 17.10.12.jpg

Additionally, I need to do some digging in the EWD and figure out what this wiring harness is tucked behind the grille. It has two unused white plugs and runs back up to a connection underneath the airbox + a ground. I've removed it for now but will hang on to it.

I'm thinking fog lights? I don't have fog lights in the bumper but I do have integrated fog lights in the headlight housing.

2023-06-19 17.20.21.jpg

Disassembly continues - I hadn't removed the airbox before and was interested to find this little dirt/dust/debris catch can at the bottom. Seems effective. How often are people cleaning these out?

2023-06-19 20.20.54.jpg

2023-06-19 20.20.47.jpg

Ran into my first snag. The glow heater relay assembly is positioned exactly where the driver's side intercooler pipe is supposed to go.

This is standing in front of the bumper on the driver's side looking down.

2023-06-19 20.52.06 copy.jpg

The relay is right behind the circled panel. PDI instructions are to cut a 3" hole in that panel to run the piping through.

2023-06-19 20.54.45 copy.jpg

I'll post in the diesel section as well but curious to hear what people think. Move the relay? Delete the glow heater system altogether?

Last edited:
I'm also considering deleting the JDM headlight washers since I never use them. I'd leave the nozzles on the front since they're a part of the housing, but remove all the hose behind the grill. Just trying to simplify things.

View attachment 3353355

This is standing in front of the bumper looking down. The hose is outlined in red and connects to the bottom of the headlight housing.

View attachment 3353357

Additionally, I need to do some digging in the EWD and figure out what this wiring harness is tucked behind the grille. It has two unused white plugs and runs back up to a connection underneath the airbox + a ground. I've removed it for now but will hang on to it.

I'm thinking fog lights? I don't have fog lights in the bumper but I do have integrated fog lights in the headlight housing.

View attachment 3353359

Disassembly continues - I hadn't removed the airbox before and was interested to find this little dirt/dust/debris catch can at the bottom. Seems effective. How often are people cleaning these out?

View attachment 3353361

View attachment 3353363

When I installed my DVS bumper I didn't realize they had one specifically for the JDM rigs and deleted all my headlight washer setup except for the button inside

When I installed my DVS bumper I didn't realize they had one specifically for the JDM rigs and deleted all my headlight washer setup except for the button inside
Nice. How did you plug up the system? At the windshield fluid reservoir?

Nice. How did you plug up the system? At the windshield fluid reservoir?

Ya. I'll grab a picture in the am. Pretty sure I just put a rubber cap on it. I kept all the parts in case I wanted to restore it. But I'm moving soon and foresee them in the trash.

2023-06-19 20.20.54.jpg

2023-06-19 20.20.47.jpg

That's the tuna can.

Empty each time you change your oil so it doesn't get forgotten

Continuing the intercooler installation. First, removed the intake heater power. I'll have to get a pic at the end with all the stuff I'm removing from the engine bay. Feels good to simplify things.

2023-06-21 19.41.24.jpg

I now have two 10mm holes on each fender. I need to figure out a way to plug them up to keep dirt and mud out. Bolts, nuts and washers would be easy but I was thinking maybe a plastic body clip too.

2023-06-21 19.41.19.jpg

From there it was time to cut. 3" hole saw on each side.

2023-06-21 20.15.42.jpg

2023-06-21 20.29.30.jpg

2023-06-21 20.29.33.jpg

Last edited:
Next, cleaned up the holes and painted. Probably could have gone with something that matched the color a little better but oh well, no one's gonna see it.

2023-06-21 22.00.27.jpg

PDI put together a well thought out kit. The only annoyance so far was the center intercooler support bracket. The top mounting hole was just a few mm too far to the left so it didn't line up with the other 2 hood latch bolts. I just had to extend the hole a bit, clean up and paint, and I was good to go.

2023-06-21 21.12.03.jpg

2023-06-21 22.01.53.jpg

Once that was ready to go, it was as simple as bolting up the hood latch, dropping in the intercooler, then bolting up the hood release and horn brackets.

2023-06-21 22.38.41.jpg

2023-06-21 22.39.00.jpg

Small note on the horns. The right horn had to be moved up a little to clear the intercooler bracket, but that put it up too high and the hood couldn't close.

2023-06-21 22.39.06.jpg

2023-06-21 22.43.10.jpg

On the back of the horn, there's a 17mm nut holding the arm. I loosened that and rotated the horn to fit under the hood.

2023-06-21 22.48.14.jpg

2023-06-21 22.50.38.jpg

And wrapped up the night with some trim (provided by PDI) around the intercooler pipe holes.

2023-06-21 23.19.15.jpg

This is looking great! On the growing list of stuff I need/want. PDI looks like good kit. Did you by chance source it over here in the US or from Australia? Thanks!

This is looking great! On the growing list of stuff I need/want. PDI looks like good kit. Did you by chance source it over here in the US or from Australia? Thanks!
Bought it straight from them in Australia. They’re great to work with via email and ship stuff to the US regularly

Bought it straight from them in Australia. They’re great to work with via email and ship stuff to the US regularly
Excellent, cheaper price as well. Would you mind listing the part numbers when you get a chance. Might as well follow your lead. Thanks.

Excellent, cheaper price as well. Would you mind listing the part numbers when you get a chance. Might as well follow your lead. Thanks.
Yeah no problem. I ordered this:

You just have to pick your model and transmission type from the drop down. They include the transmission cooler for the automatics. They also now seem to have a color option (black or silver) but they didn't have that when I bought mine.

When you order they'll ask you what size piping you need for the turbo. I emailed and they told me to pick 3" for the stock CT26.

I also bought an airbox from them but I won't have that for a couple months.

Yeah no problem. I ordered this:

You just have to pick your model and transmission type from the drop down. They include the transmission cooler for the automatics. They also now seem to have a color option (black or silver) but they didn't have that when I bought mine.

When you order they'll ask you what size piping you need for the turbo. I emailed and they told me to pick 3" for the stock CT26.

I also bought an airbox from them but I won't have that for a couple months.
Excellent, thank you. I will check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom