Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. Yeah I'm not in a rush to add a rear bumper. I wouldn't mind one, but I like the simplicity of the OEM carrier setup.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll try:
d4Sx3Yw.jpg

Mocking it up with some washers, I think that a 3/16" spacer will be the right size. On the other side (RHS) I'll use the nuts on a stick for the unthreaded holes.

po4bJuL.jpeg

It looks alright. Kind looks like it sticks out a bunch but realistically it only sticks out less than an inch:

wxO8wCq.jpg

Pz7hIlu.jpg

Thoughts? Cool? Stupid? Function over form?

How is everyone else doing their rear recovery points?

I just have the d-ring though a stinger on my hitch. I'll add more points later when I do a bumper. I haven't been pulled yet from behind

Small stuff this week.

2023-05-22 13.45.47.jpg

- Replaced both batteries and a negative battery cable that had a corroded terminal clamp
- Replaced PCV hose and clamps, cleaned up the oily valve cover
- Got the Trail Tailor 3/16" spacers. I think I've figured out the rear recovery points. Just needed to chop 6mm off to fit.

2023-05-27 17.57.10.jpg

2023-05-27 17.58.31.jpg

2023-05-27 18.06.02.jpg

The bolts supplied are M12x1.25 40mm. I almost have enough engagement but not quite. Going to order 4x 50mm bolts to be safe

2023-05-27 18.13.47.jpg

I'm wondering if it messes up my departure angle too much. But I guess a tow hitch would be similar?

I'll probably paint them black and run it for a while til I get it hung up on a ledge and/or buy a steel bumper. I've already had to use the front points to pull another 80 out of some snow and it would be much better to be able to use the rear. It looks large but realistically it's going to drag about the same time the exhaust hits something.

Other than that I'm collecting stuff for an upcoming intercooler install. So far I have:

- PDI FMIC + PDI trans cooler
- OEM Valve cover gasket
- Feeler gauges to adjust valves
- OEM Gaskets for EGR plate, intake heater and PDI adapter (taking the place of the crossover pipe)
- EGT and boost gauge to be installed

Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Last edited:
Small stuff this week.

View attachment 3334011

- Replaced both batteries and a negative battery cable that had a corroded terminal clamp
- Replaced PCV hose and clamps, cleaned up the oily valve cover
- Got the Trail Tailor 3/16" spacers. I think I've figured out the rear recovery points. Just needed to chop 6mm off to fit.

View attachment 3334013

View attachment 3334014

View attachment 3334016

The bolts supplied are M12x1.25 40mm. I almost have enough engagement but not quite. Going to order 4x 50mm bolts to be safe

View attachment 3334017

I'm wondering if it messes up my departure angle too much. But I guess a tow hitch would be similar?

I'll probably paint them black and run it for a while til I get it hung up on a ledge and/or buy a steel bumper. I've already had to use the front points to pull another 80 out of some snow and it would be much better to be able to use the rear. It looks large but realistically it's going to drag about the same time the exhaust hits something.

Other than that I'm collecting stuff for an upcoming intercooler install. So far I have:

- PDI FMIC + PDI trans cooler
- EGR delete plate for exhaust manifold
- OEM Valve cover gasket
- Feeler gauges to adjust valves
- OEM Gaskets for EGR plate, intake heater and PDI adapter (taking the place of the crossover pipe)
- EGT and boost gauge to be installed

Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

My tow hitch hangs down way worse. I think you're fine.

A 250hp injector pump and injectors setup, and a replacement turbo from Australia too. Love the 80 build.
I wish that was in my budget! Hopefully soon.
My tow hitch hangs down way worse. I think you're fine.
Yeah I think I was spoiled with how "high clearance" this is stock with no spare tire and no tow hitch.

Oh by the way I should be getting some Sandgrabba mats from AUS soon... they were supposed to show up a while ago but they said they were having some supply chain issues

Big improvement to the interior today - Sandgrabba mats showed up. The quality and fit are great. Similar material feel to a Weathertech floor mat, but maybe a little harder to the touch.

2023-05-31 13.05.36.jpg

Before:

2023-05-31 13.06.06.jpg

2023-05-31 13.06.34.jpg

After:

2023-05-31 13.08.57.jpg

2023-05-31 13.11.33.jpg

The mats have these tabs underneath that can rotate around - I assume they're for sliding underneath the door trim to hold them in place but I don't know if I'll use them. They seem to stay in place just fine.

2023-05-31 13.12.40.jpg

2023-05-31 13.15.34.jpg

I ended up finding these through No Bull Accessories in AU. They didn't have international shipping on their site so I worked things out with Brad: brad@nobullaccessories.com.au

I paid on April 3 and received them on May 31. Very happy overall.

View attachment 3337000

The mats have these tabs underneath that can rotate around - I assume they're for sliding underneath the door trim to hold them in place but I don't know if I'll use them. They seem to stay in place just fine.

View attachment 3337001

View attachment 3337002

I ended up finding these through No Bull Accessories in AU. They didn't have international shipping on their site so I worked things out with Brad: brad@nobullaccessories.com.au

I paid on April 3 and received them on May 31. Very happy overall.
Dang it! You must know my wallet doesn’t like you very much. Probably gonna have to follow suit, the weather techs I bought don’t have nearly as much coverage.

Dang it! You must know my wallet doesn’t like you very much. Probably gonna have to follow suit, the weather techs I bought don’t have nearly as much coverage.
My wallet hates me too. I'm running out of budget for all the stuff I want to do

Do you have a link? Thanks. “Wallet shrugs and then sighs”.
Partsouq or a US distributor -

Partsouq or a US distributor -

Well, when I go to the link and check to see if it will fit my vehicle, it says no bueno. I can’t imagine that 7 years would make that much difference. Go for it or run run away?

Well, when I go to the link and check to see if it will fit my vehicle, it says no bueno. I can’t imagine that 7 years would make that much difference. Go for it or run run away?
What year is yours? I believe the early model flares were slightly different but don’t quote me on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom