IH8wire

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Plowboy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy

IH8wire PROBLEM FOUND

Started having a problem with my starter. At first nothing happened when turned key to start. Then When it did start the starter kept running. Had a very similar problem about 15 yrs ago. Replace the switch wire at the steering wheel,(found lots of brass shaving in the switch) Problem solved. So figuring the switch had worn out again, put in a new switch. Problem solved for about three days, then problem started again. Turn the key to on and the starter would engage and continue to run. Figured I got a bad switch from Toyota, so pulled apart at socket and check current through wire. Everythng at the switch was working. Started checking other places and found the terminal at the starter was becoming hot with the switch in "on" position. NOT SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN!!! Which means to me, some place I got a crossed wire, but the starter wire is suppose to be direct from the key to the starter. Not looking forward to cutting the harness apart to find the crossover, but don't know of another option. Any suggestions, other than use a sharp knife?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  2. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

be careful with a sharp knife.
    sounds like the wire got hot and burned through to another wire that is hot ni the on position.

bummer

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Larry,
    It is easier to run a new wire than to find a short. Make sure that there is nothing connected to the back/white start wire first. Tape a piece of the old wire on to the new one to keep the color code to remind you what it is.

4. Plowboy

Plowboy

Problem Found

Found the problem of the short. This may help someone from burning up a wire harness. THE PROBLEM was caused by the pivot of the emergency brake. When the brake is pulled out, there is a small part of the rod that raises above the framework for the brake. This piece has some sharp edges. The Main Harness passes directly over the sharp edges. I had pulled the speedo out and was moving wires around to see where everything went, when the harness shorted out on that rod. FLAMES EVERYWHERE. pulled the switch wire apart and put the fire out by smothering with CLEAN rag. Note clean, no oil or grease. Need to make some type of cover for the rod and recoat the wires with liquid rubber and rewrap the harness. Will see if I can get a good picture of the area to show exactly what happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.