1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ih8welding

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by osagecruiser, Aug 6, 2005.

1. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

worked all day on welding new sill into 40 and patch panels into body...i practiced on spare sheetmetal..did'nt look bad...started on cruiser and it looked like bbs stuck to the weld...turned up heat turned down wire speed..still looked bad...slowed down hand promptly burned hole..adjust adjust adjust...every now and then a good weld most not.....................thank god for grinder....my son thought they looked good...ah what does he know....what is the remedy for the weld condition i am experiencing?....wire welder, high/low temp setting and wire speed adjustment only. not fancy 120v

thanks for any input in advance

osagecruiser :cool:

2. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    No fix.

You just suck.

JK. Not a lot of welding knowledge here................

3. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

You actually need to turn DOWN the heat and turn UP the speed if I am reading you right. Also, use your ears; I imagine your welding sounded like "sputter sputter pop", it should sound like sizzling bacon - rather rapid and rather rhythmic. HTH.

4. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

sputter sputter pop is an understatement....magnify that by 10...no sizzling bacon..well every now and then.....i will try again tomorrow. and make the adjustment you suggest... and yes i do suck at welding but i will continue to work at it damn it. :D

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

You might very well have the gun too far from the work. Make sure everything's clean and shiney too.

6. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

clean and shiny? :eek: ..ahhh that could be part of the prob...had some areas that had some old primer......i will grind all surfaces clean...thanks gumby

7. 3pits

3pits

clean the area to be welded,,
    then I agree with turbo on the sounds, but I say turn it up and keep the wire the same,, if you adjust both you dont knwo which is right which is wrong,,,
    if you turn up the power and it is still sputtering, then lower the speed, if you turn up the power and it smooths out, ok, if you turn up the power and the wire is "melting faster than it comes out" then yo know to turn it down or turn the speed up,,

good luck
    half the time it is a ground issue, make sure you got a GREAT ground

8. RUfj40crazy

RUfj40crazy

I suck at welding too!!! Generally I use the flux-core wire and forgo the shielding gas. I’m not positive but I think that if you’re too far away from the weld with the nozzle you loose the shielding gas from the flux which may or may not affect it. You may also be loosing proper heat penetration and equates to just "painting" the weld on the surface.
    A big SECOND on making sure that your metal is clean it makes a world of difference!

9. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

thanks guys...i have 3 more patches to weld i will probably get the hang of it as soon as i am done...thats ok at least i will be ready for the next project.

osagecruiser :cool: :cool:

10. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Keep your gas at about 18-20 cu. ft. per hour and keep the nozzle clear with nozzle gel. Keep the nozzle close enough to allow complete gas envelopement over the weld, preventing atmospheric contamination of the weld, resulting in a brittle joint. Vary wire speed and heat until you're frying bacon. Open the panel of your welder where the wire is loaded. Turn off the power first, so you don't electrocute yourself, and you'll usually find recommendations for wire speed and heat on a table printed on the inside of the door panel. Match your metal thickness with the recommended heat and wire speed. Test your settings in an area that is out of sight and keep your grinder handy. Good luck. Time and practice will make you a welding guru. :D

11. brian

brian SILVER Star

if you're using gas "push" the puddle, unless running verts then pull down hill. but if you're using flux core "pull" the puddle.

what size wire are you using hopfully it's .0.30 or less.
    working inside or out. outside can be a REAL pain in the butt when using gas.

look closly at the wire coming out of the contact tip.
    is the wire "jamming" it's self into the puddle=to much wire speed OR too cold.
    if the wire is melting into a glob then transferng to the puddle= not enough wire speed OR to hot. just because you get it balanced does'nt mean everything is good to go, you still might be too hot or cold for the metal thinkness you are working.

with sheetmetal there is a REAL fine line between too cold and just right, anything more is too hot. you already know the story about getting body panel too hot? they end up looking like pretzels.

12. RokCrawlinToy

RokCrawlinToy Crawler of Rocks

I'm no pro but for welding patchpanels, you should take you time doing lots of tack welds several inches apart, to keep the heat from warping the metal & let the metal cool before adding more weld, until you have it completely welded in. You may have to use a body hammer while the metal is warm to keep the welds from making high spots. Then grind the weld.
    Hope that helps
    Goodluck

13. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of good tips out there. Practice makes perfect.

14. brian

brian SILVER Star

only when your techinque is "close to" correct.

practising with the wrong setup, will never get you prerfect.