1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IH8scooters!!!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by RUfj40crazy, Jul 16, 2005.

1. RUfj40crazy

RUfj40crazy

Not to offend anyone who actually likes these things but damn I hate scooters!!!!

Just really thought about it today while following my cousin back to my place (he on his 92 katana and me in the car) so I can start work on some of his bikes mechanicals. Couldn’t believe it we pulled out of his driveway and onto the main road. No sooner than we got going we pass a red Honda silver wing one of those big ass scooters and he waves to this dude. Well thinking about it I think “eh at least it’s ALMOST a motorcycle” and think nothing else about it. THEN when we get to town we pass a punk ass kid on a 25cc POS scooter with a motocross helmet, he waves again!!!

Now maybe it’s just me and all the other guys I ride with but we don’t even acknowledge these little piss ass kids on these things and in my opinion for good reason. Here in VA anything under 25cc doesn’t require any riders test to be qualified to drive one. Only that your 16+ years of age and have a valid auto license, and that even isn’t always the case. Most people I come across are kids but some are older that are your typical DUI case with suspended license or other reasons. These damn things are problems waiting to happen, inexperienced drivers and often don’t have the maturity level to avoid doing something stupid in the first place. There is already a helmet law for these things but they need to be banned from the road altogether.

To me waving at a scooter is like someone in a TJ pulling up next to my 40 and saying “hey nice Jeep” … what a jackass!!

I think that I’ll have a nice set of training wheels added to my cousin’s bike for when he comes to pick it up.

Rant off

2. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Most of those scooters are a 49cc two stroke. From what I understand, 50cc or more and there are a lot more regulations for them, hence why they make them at 49cc. One of the problems with them is that they are so small and low to the ground that in traffic it's easy for people to not see them.

I ride a Honda Shadow (lowered, hardtailed, flat fender, narrower rear tire, self custom made tooled leather springer seat, fork books, flat black paint, etc.). It's not much, but anymore I don't get to ride much because of work. Just sits in the parking lot... 20 years old and my career already controls my life in every aspect.

3. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

For many folks who ride (and by that I mean anything other than a "cage"), a wave is merely a courtesy shared among anyone else on two wheels w/motor. Sorta like a salute in the military. It's truly an acknowledgement that we're out here in the open and braving the elements and the four-wheel cages. Sorry you don't like it; however, there is certainly no harm in it.