IH8MUD Newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone...

I have been lurking the boards for a bit while searching for a new toy. I finally purchased my first Cruiser a little over a week ago and the information provided here was very helpful in my search (thank you).

I look forward to providing information when I am able to comment but I am a cruiser newb and will probably be looking to the boards for assistance more than I am able to provide it.

I purchased an 89 FJ62 with 230k miles on it. The VIN shows the Cruiser has never left the DFW area so the title was never wiped by crossing state lines. The undercarriage doesn’t show signs of abuse but the springs are flat in front and back.

The transmission shifts hard when first fired up but after doing some reading it appears the trans are temperamental and require warming up when cold. When driving for long periods of time, mainly stop/go activity the ATF Temp light came on. It has come on once and I drove for about 3 hours in mild traffic. From what I have read this could be caused from too much/too little fluid. I checked the ATF today after driving around for about 30 minutes and the fluid was about ¼” above the ‘warm’ max level. Could this be contributing to the ATF Temp light?

I was thinking about doing a trans flush but have read that some had their trans completely **** out after the flush so I am hesitant. The fluid is a clean color and has no burnt odor to it.

Here is a pic of the engine bay, looks to be well maintained over the years... glad to be a part of the cruiser community.

FJ62Purchase.jpg

Landcruiser_Motor_small.JPG

Last edited:
Holy :censor: dude... that engine bay is clean!

BTW welcome to Mud!

That is the cleanest dam motor ive ever seen:eek: , you sir are correct, do NOT flush a 62 tranny. Instead put in a new tranny filter and new fluid;) go lift your hood and see if you have a tranny cooler, it will be in front of the radiater behind the grill. Its about 7 inches wide by 15 long, give or take. NOW there is also a power steering cooler up there to . so you should see 2. If you see only one investagate further to see which one you have. A 62 indeed does need a tranny cooler.:beer:

That is not a normal engine bay. :eek:

I'll wager you don't have a tranny cooler, as basically the light never comes on when you have one except under extreme loads uphill for miles in 90 degree heat.

Get one.

And.... Post pics of the rest of the vehicle, is it as clean as the engine?

Oh, wait, you did...
attachment.php

Sweet! :flipoff2:

That looks like the day it was born.

I don't think my engine bay was ever that clean, EVER!

That is super awesome

Thanks for the compliments... the interior is as clean as the exterior and engine bay.

I bought it from a guy down the street from where I live in Lewisville, TX (buy here pay here). A guy owed him money and didnt have any loot to pony up so they settled on the Cruiser. I really dont think he knew what he had in his possesion. I paid 5k cash for it.

There is no trans cooler in the engine bay... guess that will be the first purchase prior to replacing the springs.

Is this the same BG in Dallas that was looking at my '84 that I wimped out on and couldn't sell? If so you did much better!

If not the same person, congrats on a clean cruiser anyway!

:beer:

230K and the engine looks like that! I'd get rid of it immediately. Clearly, there are strange and evil forces at work under that hood. So demonic that dirt, oil, and even leaks avoid that engine bay.

Is this the same BG in Dallas that was looking at my '84 that I wimped out on and couldn't sell? If so you did much better!

If not the same person, congrats on a clean cruiser anyway!

:beer:

Same BG... wish I had the round headlights though.

I guess I should start a new thread in the sales forum MARC311?:idea:

When driving for long periods of time, mainly stop/go activity the ATF Temp light came on. It has come on once and I drove for about 3 hours in mild traffic. From what I have read this could be caused from too much/too little fluid.

Nice looking engine.

My FJ62 trans temp light came on the day I brought my FJ62 home. I pulled the transmission pan and drained the fluid then cleaned the filter. The filter was completely clogged. The trans works quite well now.

As far as trans coolers go, I thought they all had the cooler in the radiator. The external ones where installed after market, or was it some towing option?

HOLY *&%^$&$&@&$* that is fawking CLEAN!!!! and 5K? man....
as to the round lights, you can change over the core support etc. and be good to go.

now go get it dirty!
oh, and welcome:flipoff2: (officially)

As far as trans coolers go, I thought they all had the cooler in the radiator. The external ones where installed after market, or was it some towing option?

The tranny cooler on my '89 was aftermarket, located in front of the rad (not in engine bay).

BG, you mentioned in the registry that you were looking at OME lift? What lift is on there now? I had OME med/heavy on my rig, and it rode pretty stiff (IMO), though I actually liked it. Those and the KO's made for a really nice combo.

Holy crap that's fine! Awesome, awesome, awesome rig. Welcome!

That transmission temp light can't be good. Mine failed very soon after my light started coming on even after two fluid dumps and a filter replacement. Give it a shot though. I'd poor some new transmission oil in and see where you stand.

Best of luck to you bud. That rig is worth the effort.

Good God, not another one :crybaby:

You can't beat those Texas trucks. I bought a 95 suburbon from a guy in Texas it had 200,000 plus on it and it was showroom clean as well. It least you know the transfer case has not seen too much action LOL. Nice rig and welcom to the board.

It's On the Way... It's On the Way... WOOHOO

I figured I would add updates to my introductory post so down the road I could look to one post and realize how much **** I have thrown at this monster.

Bought the 62 in April and by July the transmission decided it wanted nothing to do with its new owner.:frown:

I debated the H55 conversion versus Rodney's A440F and the final decision was...
A440F.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom