Ignorant shopper searching for education on a BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brand new to the forum even though I've read a good bit prior to joining. I hope my etiquette is all appropriate as well as where I placed this request for help. I've been on the lookout for an HJ73 or similar for several months as well as talking with a few importers. I just came across a BJ70 with very low mileage that has really piqued my interest. I was hoping for some input from the more experienced about this vehicle. Its an 87, low mileage very clean. I've read good things about the 3B engine ( especially when a turbo is added). Would it be a mistake to abandon my original search and pursue this or just different? What is the rough cost of a turbo addition? I welcome any input you believe pertinent on the BJ70. Thank you in advance. I look forward to your input.

Jumping to the 3B BJ70 would mean two deviations from your original plan:
The 70 is shorter than the 73
The 3B is a different engine.
I own a 3B BJ73, so I can comment a bit on both aspects...
I wouldn't want to miss that extra bit of length the 73 provides over the 70. It depends of course what the purpose of use is. The 73 e.g. is just long enough to enable a bed (going over the front seats); sleeping in a 70 is hardly feasible.
With rear seats installed, the 73 still has a bit of baggage capacity; the 70 rather not.
I have a stock 3B engine with a 5 gears box. The rig is not a rocket, but going 60mph is a sweet travel speed, even on the German autobahn.
If a truck gets in the way, you can pass, still. Inclines however are a real pita. This applies to both 70 and 73 I guess.
I wouldn't say putting a turbo on the 3B is such a great idea. I heard about overheating problems and wear on the piston rings. I doubt the long term sustainability. For sure it requires close monitoring (EGT etc). But let the guys who did that conversion comment further.
BTW Is it really a BJ70, with blade springs? Could make quite a difference. The BJ73 is already quite hard and jumpy. A BJ70 must jump even more, I guess.
Good luck
Ralf

The feedback that you requested will be impression based. i.e., Personal opinions at the end of the day.

My experience has been with BJ70s and I don't have anything negative to say about them. That being said ... I would like to add 73/74 series to the stable too. The extra foot of length and the removable fiberglass top appear to be intriguing.

Since you are in Dallas, my suggestion is to contact Joe's Classic Cruisers. He is located a few miles north of Dallas. He imports 70 series trucks and drivelines. As such, he might be able to help connect you with information and vehicles (BJs & HJs) that will aid you in selecting what is best for you and your priorities.

Good luck

Brand new to the forum even though I've read a good bit prior to joining. I hope my etiquette is all appropriate as well as where I placed this request for help. I've been on the lookout for an HJ73 or similar for several months as well as talking with a few importers. I just came across a BJ70 with very low mileage that has really piqued my interest. I was hoping for some input from the more experienced about this vehicle. Its an 87, low mileage very clean. I've read good things about the 3B engine ( especially when a turbo is added). Would it be a mistake to abandon my original search and pursue this or just different? What is the rough cost of a turbo addition? I welcome any input you believe pertinent on the BJ70. Thank you in advance. I look forward to your input.
Having owned a SWB, MWB and a couple of LWB’s, I personally would stick with the MWB. To me it’s nearly the perfect size.

The feedback that you requested will be impression based. i.e., Personal opinions at the end of the day.

My experience has been with BJ70s and I don't have anything negative to say about them. That being said ... I would like to add 73/74 series to the stable too. The extra foot of length and the removable fiberglass top appear to be intriguing.

Since you are in Dallas, my suggestion is to contact Joe's Classic Cruisers. He is located a few miles north of Dallas. He imports 70 series trucks and drivelines. As such, he might be able to help connect you with information and vehicles (BJs & HJs) that will aid you in selecting what is best for you and your priorities.

Good luck
I've texted with Joe. Nice guy and helpful. He's who I intended to work with if I import directly. Added bonus of left hand drive vehicles. I think he's selling vehicles before they ever make it to the US. There's also some pretty serious shipping issues now along with inflated shipping costs. Thanks for the advice.

Jumping to the 3B BJ70 would mean two deviations from your original plan:
The 70 is shorter than the 73
The 3B is a different engine.
I own a 3B BJ73, so I can comment a bit on both aspects...
I wouldn't want to miss that extra bit of length the 73 provides over the 70. It depends of course what the purpose of use is. The 73 e.g. is just long enough to enable a bed (going over the front seats); sleeping in a 70 is hardly feasible.
With rear seats installed, the 73 still has a bit of baggage capacity; the 70 rather not.
I have a stock 3B engine with a 5 gears box. The rig is not a rocket, but going 60mph is a sweet travel speed, even on the German autobahn.
If a truck gets in the way, you can pass, still. Inclines however are a real pita. This applies to both 70 and 73 I guess.
I wouldn't say putting a turbo on the 3B is such a great idea. I heard about overheating problems and wear on the piston rings. I doubt the long term sustainability. For sure it requires close monitoring (EGT etc). But let the guys who did that conversion comment further.
BTW Is it really a BJ70, with blade springs? Could make quite a difference. The BJ73 is already quite hard and jumpy. A BJ70 must jump even more, I guess.
Good luck
Ralf
I have already found myself coming to a similar conclusion about the downside of adding turbo as I research. I've also looked at some of the small prados with kz engines that already have turbo. Any thoughts on that set up?

Having owned a SWB, MWB and a couple of LWB’s, I personally would stick with the MWB. To me it’s nearly the perfect size.
I agree 100% Owned SWB, MWB and now LWB.

SWB is almost a tie with MWB though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom