Ignitor issues, looking for a cause (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a General Ignitor question:

My uncle has a 1983 Toyota pickup that is really very stock, but it has recently gone through 4 Toyota ignitors. It runs great for about 500 miles then craps out. He carries a spare now.

What sort of things could be causing this? Is there something wrong possibly with the power it is receiving? The FSM doesn't really say much about it.

He is checking the voltage regulator today. Is there anything else he should check?

leaving the ignition on

I think that leaving the ignition on without them running might cause some damage ---I know the pertronix unit has that problem, totally different ignition though ----I am not sure aboiut the toyota unit, but I noticed mine got warm while I was working on my lights so if he is in the habit of sitting with the ignition on for lighting, radio, or whatever that may be worth looking at

make sure it has a good ground and check the wiring for shorts as well as power.

I doubt that it is a problem with the ignitor, since it would be extremely unlikely to have 4 fail. It is more likely an intermittent problem with the pickup coil in the distributor.

I doubt that it is a problem with the ignitor, since it would be extremely unlikely to have 4 fail. It is more likely an intermittent problem with the pickup coil in the distributor.

Maybe, but once it dies, putting a new ignitor on "solves" the problem while putting on an old one doesn't. We'll check to make sure though, maybe something there. Thanks for the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom