Ignitor info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to find an ignitor for my 74 with a 79 distributor.I want to stick with a Toyota setup,and was wondering what years I could check. TIA.

Might try a 79?

Ok,besides 79 :flipoff2: I'm going to hit the junk yards around here,and try to find a year that works.

78+ should work if its from a Land Cruiser. 81+ is more desirable.

4Runner/pickups also work, just make sure you pull it from a carbureted vehicle. For that matter, early cars may work as well, Corolla, Celica, etc. Mid 80s varieties often are an igniter/coil combo.

Minitruck electronic will also work.. When wiring it up both plugs that go to the ignitor go to your black with yellow stripe.. The later Minitruck and FJ60 ignitors will have an extra lead for the tach, the biggest difference.. Probably about $25 or so..

I'm not sure matt is correct, the igniter must match the dizzy. I would pm or email fj40jim, he's the distributor expert on the board!

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Minitruck electronic will also work.. When wiring it up both plugs that go to the ignitor go to your black with yellow stripe.. The later Minitruck and FJ60 ignitors will have an extra lead for the tach, the biggest difference.. Probably about $25 or so..

Thanks!!! I'm heading for the junkyards tomorrow.My buddy has 18 Fj 40's them sitting around,but most are older. He doesn't have anything I can use.

Dianna said:
I'm not sure matt is correct, the igniter must match the dizzy. I would pm or email fj40jim, he's the distributor expert on the board!

Thanks Dianna!!

I have tested many scenario's with this...becuase both of my cruisers had points, and I converted to toyota electronic.

ANY electronic ignitor I tried - as long as it came off a carb'd rig worked with my electronic dizzy's. I could NOT for the life of me get that fuel injection ignitor to work.

What I have tested:

86 FJ60 Dizzy (the big round one) and 86 FJ60 Ignitor - works (obviously).
78 Dizzy with 86, 78, 82, and 85 Ignitor - all work.

Which leads me to believe if you have ANY electronic dizzy from a carbed 2F, and ANY ignitor from a carbed 2F - you are golden.

carbed 2f....that's like saying a fast ferrari....anyway -you see my point.

Ragman

Thanks Ragman! I get the point!! I'll start my junkyard search tomorrow.

when i bought my 60, it had a extra ignitor and coil in the back. bought it at a dealer (surprised they left it in there) so not sure why it was there.

anyways, its a bit smaller than the one in the 60, same number though. been having some issues, and if some other things dont clear it up thought maybe i could switch out the ignitor if putting the smaller one wouldnt be a problem to see if thats part of the problem.

i can get a picture of it if needed.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I think I'll be ok. I've been away for a few days,but I picked up an ignitor for a '78,and I'm putting it in tomorrow.( I hope) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom