Ignitor assembly for 77 40 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty much just trying to find appropriate parts for the ignition. I have curved stock dizzy from JimC. I have also added GR starter.

Is there a specific Ignitor assembly for my project? I did find old set up but not sure when or where I got it. Is there appropriate part number to check this? IF by chance it is the appropriate ignitor does anyone rebuild or restore these?

Thanks!
A032425A-D560-4E86-BC25-8900AC6699BE.jpeg

Last edited:
It would help to see what distributor you have as well. you can use a couple setups from different years. That looks like an ignitor module. 78+?

Been in shop better part of day, I need to get engine stamp I guess to figure out date of manufacture also as 77 has couple other options

I have no idea about the appropriate igniter,

If I have this correct the Block number on left side = 71025, so hopefully 1977, Oct. 25th. This seems to be important since coils I have seem to have cutoff of 9/77 for various types. Again, I am clueless here.

2DF59BF4-D087-4C32-A84E-C65460953E96.jpeg
2E8777CE-6298-40FC-A56C-65C38409D8D2.jpeg

Last edited:
If your igniter is for a '78, I don't think it will work with a stock '77 dizzy that has points. If I remember correctly, '77 was the last year of the hybrid points/electronic ignition. '78 went all electronic, which means the dizzy would need to have a pickup coil, rather than points if you want it to work with that igniter. Make sure the base of the igniter module is grounded or it will not work. There are some great schematics on the web that allow you to use points to trigger a GM type HEI module. I used the schematic that lets me flip a toggle switch to switch between straight points OR points with HEI on my 1976 Triumph TR6. Made a huge difference in the spark. But if the HEI module ever goes out, all I need to do is flip the toggle switch and I am back to a points/coil ignition.

Pretty much just trying to find appropriate parts for the ignition. I have curved stock dizzy from JimC. I have also added GR starter.

Is there a specific Ignitor assembly for my project? I did find old set up but not sure when or where I got it. Is there appropriate part number to check this? IF by chance it is the appropriate ignitor does anyone rebuild or restore these?

Thanks!
View attachment 2556152

there is only one place you want to Contact , @4Cruisers , John is a NipponDenso authority and service tech on these vintage systems

reach out to him , for solid input and good communication ..........

De7-lLhUYAAEVZR - Copy - Copy (3)1.jpg

denso qualty.png

That's a '78 distributor, it has both retard and advance. Any coil/igniter setup from '78 through '87 will work. 89620-60031 is for the 1/79 through 7/80 2F, 89620-60030 is for the 9/77 through 1/79 2F. Both were replaced by the same part number at some point, so you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom