ignition toggle with push button start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking about doing this, putting ignition toggle and pushbutton start switches in the tuffy.

I want to keep the accessories connected to the keyed switch at the column and move the ignition on/off switch and start to the tuffy.

I'm not a wiring guy and don't fully get how this would get wired together; any wiring guys out there have a wiring diagram I can refer to?

I've searched, but haven't found anything.

Thanks
:cheers:

Well, it is not too difficult, just use some relays and wire it up. Be sure to D/C the wiring from your ignition switch!

Try here for parts and advice. MadElectrical.com - Electrical Tech

GL

Ed

There is a wire going to the ignition switch that activates the starter solenoid when you turn the key. Find that wire (disconnect from ignition)and put it on one side of you button. The other side of the button should be a power line from the ignition switch (On position). You don't want to be able to turn the engine over without the key.

If your talking about doing away with the ignition switch totally from starting and running the vehilce no relays are required. Find the hot wire at the ignition, then the wire that runs to the dist and anything else that's required to run a 81. Then a third wire that goes to the starter. Run those three wires to your console. The hot wire will go to both the toggle switch and push button. Wire the dist wire to the other side of the toggle switch and the starter wire to the other side of the push button switch. Splice the hot wire so it still runs to the key switch but disconnect the other two wires from the switch and this should work the way your wanting.

so will I need a relay in there somewhere?

OK, just reread the first sentence. I'm a visual guy, anyone have a diagram showing how this would look?

If your talking about doing away with the ignition switch totally from starting and running the vehilce no relays are required. Find the hot wire at the ignition, then the wire that runs to the dist and anything else that's required to run a 81. Then a third wire that goes to the starter. Run those three wires to your console. The hot wire will go to both the toggle switch and push button. Wire the dist wire to the other side of the toggle switch and the starter wire to the other side of the push button switch. Splice the hot wire so it still runs to the key switch but disconnect the other two wires from the switch and this should work the way your wanting.

This is what you want to do. All you need is for the coil to have power and the starter solenoid to engage. You can use a relay but really there isn't much amp draw on these two circuits. You would basically be using a relay(switched switch) to operate another relay/solenoid (switched switch)

Unfortunately, a motivated thief will have a very easy time hot-wiring a FJ 40. This is what also makes them easy to work on. If you're not sure how to troubleshoot and get to the fundamentals of the wiring harness and components maybe you should just invest in The Club and hope for the best.

I found a wiring diagram of the ignition switch and related components; I just needed a visual to see how it was all put together. I know these trucks are easy to hot wire and all, just looking for a little bit of extra security from the casual thief, plus a little bit of cool factor and just because it sounds fun to do. What I need is a really angry dog to carsit for me.

wrong diagram, check next post

Thanks!
pb start wiring diagram.jpg

This is what you want to do. All you need is for the coil to have power and the starter solenoid to engage. You can use a relay but really there isn't much amp draw on these two circuits. You would basically be using a relay(switched switch) to operate another relay/solenoid (switched switch)

Unfortunately, a motivated thief will have a very easy time hot-wiring a FJ 40. This is what also makes them easy to work on. If you're not sure how to troubleshoot and get to the fundamentals of the wiring harness and components maybe you should just invest in The Club and hope for the best.

Your right my mistake. It's the coil not the dist. For extra security I put a toggle switch in a hidden location that has to be turned (coil curcuit) on to let it run. This allows the starter to turn over but it wouldn't start. The hope is someone with think there is a problem and move on. But if they ran a wire from the battery to the coil it would run. If someone really wants it bad enough their going to get it. It's like putting extra lighting around your house. It doesn't stop crime it just moves it somewhere else. The same thing with the cruiser. Hope they just move on to the next vehicle.

Ok, I'm going to take a stab at this using the diagram I attached;

1) the 12v to the ig switch is the WL wire, LR wire turns the car, the BY wire ignites the engine.

2) take these three wires and disconnect from ig switch

3) splice the WL wire and run to the toggle, push button, and the ig switch (to keep accessories on the keyed switch)

4) run the BY wire to the toggle, ground other terminal of toggle

5) run LR wire to push button, ground pushbutton switch.

sound right?

Your right my mistake. It's the coil not the dist. For extra security I put a toggle switch in a hidden location that has to be turned (coil curcuit) on to let it run. This allows the starter to turn over but it wouldn't start. The hope is someone with think there is a problem and move on. But if they ran a wire from the battery to the coil it would run. If someone really wants it bad enough their going to get it. It's like putting extra lighting around your house. It doesn't stop crime it just moves it somewhere else. The same thing with the cruiser. Hope they just move on to the next vehicle.

Well it is the distributor getting power - just through the coil first ;)

I've had lots of practice with getting down to the basics and "hot wiring" all my junk around the ranch to keep it going. Just remember not to leave the power hot or you will fry the coil - ask me how I learned that one :doh:

Good luck!

The price is right on these at $19.99.
91364385_L.jpg

Looks like you've got it figured out -

And no one else will be able to figure out how to shut it off either :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom