ignition switch woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ignition switch hangs in the start position. I have to manually turn it back to the run position to disengage the starter. Has anyone had experience similar to this. I pulled the cylinder and lubricated it but it made no difference. There must be a spring that returns the switch to the run position.

When you pull the cyl out turn the blade inside with a pair of needle noise pliers and see if it returns. The return spring is in the cyl housing.

Your spring is probably busted. It's inside the ignition switch that is on the lower left side of the steering column (at 7' o clock) where the wires connect.

It's one screw to remove the ignition switch. If the spring is broken, you may be able to shake it and hear it rattling inside.

Napa sells a replacement:

It's an Echlin brand: Part #ECH KS7049

Last edited:
x2. I took my switch apart once to clean the contacts. When I put it back together it hung up. I took it apart again, then it worked OK. If you spring is not busted, it could be your switch is just dirty and needs cleaning/lubricating. You could try come spray contact cleaner on the electrical switch, without disassembling it.

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the ignition switch and took it apart. The return spring was broke and a small black plastic disc was broken in two pieces. I will check with NAPA tomorrow. I have a buddy with a parts rig so maybe he can help me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom