Ignition switch wiring question on ‘74 FJ40–help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having problems with my ignition switch physically engaging and starting my vehicle. I pulled the old switch and saw that the “female” plastic part was worn/broken on one side. I swapped out the old switch for a new one and the key is working as intended now. That’s the good news.

Bad news: vehicle won’t turn over.

The 4 wires that connect with the switch are Red,White,Yellow and Black, all solid colors. The wires coming from the switch are Black/Blue, Black/Red, Yellow and Black/white. by process of elimination i assumed the “black/blue” wire mated with the solid black wire. When i turn the key to ACC the dash lights come on (radio does not); when i turn the key to “run” the radio comes on and the wipers work; when i turn the key to ”start” it tries to start but won’t turn over. I have an after market EFI that I’ve NEVER had a problem with before on start. I didn’t do anything other than swap out the ignition switch.

so, did I wire it incorrectly or did i mess something else up in the process somehow? Thanks for the anticipated help!!

Was this a direct replacement ignition switch or a generic replacement? If it was a direct replacement then your factory wiring should route to the same position on the new switch as they were on the old switch. If it was a generic replacement it should have come with some instructions as to what color wire was to perform which function. Then it would just require that you match you factory wiring color/function to the appropriate wire color on the new switch.

Was this a direct replacement ignition switch or a generic replacement? If it was a direct replacement then your factory wiring should route to the same position on the new switch as they were on the old switch. If it was a generic replacement it should have come with some instructions as to what color wire was to perform which function. Then it would just require that you match you factory wiring color/function to the appropriate wire color on the ne
Was this a direct replacement ignition switch or a generic replacement? If it was a direct replacement then your factory wiring should route to the same position on the new switch as they were on the old switch. If it was a generic replacement it should have come with some instructions as to what color wire was to perform which function. Then it would just require that you match you factory wiring color/function to the appropriate wire color on the new switch.
It’s direct BUT my wiring from the truck to the ignition switch is not coupled together. They’re 4 (5 since there are 2 white that route together) separate wires. Unfortunately I didn’t make a point to oook where I was unplugging the wires when I disconnected them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom