Ignition switch turns past start position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I just picked up a trail rig ('94 80 series) that needs some love. Lots of stuff to undo and repair, but it has good bones. I've been using my 200 for everything but missed my former 80 for trail work (the 200 is insanely capable, but big, heavy, and I don't like beating it up).

One immediate thing that I need to repair is the ignition switch. It turns beyond the start position, like it is missing an internal stop.

It starts correctly if you make yourself stop turning at the start position, but doesn't have a "wall"/stop preventing further rotation.

I searched and read lots of posts about stuck keys, power staying on with key out, etc, but my search terms are failing me.

Any idea if this is likely the removable lock cylinder, the cast housing, or something else?

I'm newly back to the 80 forum, but this is where I started out. This is the third 80 I have owned. I also had a 100, and two different 200 series, but think the 80 is my favorite.

643CA32F-64BF-46D4-9FCF-B103618FA6C3.jpeg

Welcome back… I replaced my ignition switch a couple years ago but can’t comment on where your issue lies. I do know that the switch has an internal stop but I didn’t mess with the lock cylinder.

I just ordered a full set of key swap stuff from Amaya. p/n 69005-6A260 We'll see if this resolves the issue. If nothing else, I'll have a nice set of locks with matching locksets and more than one key. :)

The parts arrived today and a replacement lock cylinder resolved the issue. The original ignition core was rotating past the stop and the replacement clearly has an internal stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom