Ignition switch swap dash mount 1971 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am swapping a universal ignition switch for a Oem fj switch. It is a dash mount 1971 FJ 40. The new switch has 4 blades male connectors in a square configuration and has no markings. Have no idea where the wires on the new switch go. Has anyone had to wire this before or how do I check to find out which one goes where. I have looked at at least 30 diagrams and have searched this sit and google and have not seen what I need. Thank you in advance for any help!!!

My apologies. Yes I am trying to install an oe switch.

Thank you very much. I just can't figure out where to start.

It came with no instructions or markings? Hook a meter to it and test it, hardest part will be figuring the power in poll, once you have that the rest will be easy to figure out which is acc, park light, and lights.

We just went thought this with an OEM switch, and cheap meter that can test connectivity is your best friend, but even a test light will work. hook + to one post and star testing the other posts with key in different positions. Once you have the + on the power in post, you will get power to more then one of the other posts as you turn the key, other wise it will only work with one combination and no others. The universal switch I had did have marking on each post, surprised yours would not. Maybe a good picture of the rear of your universal switch will help us help you.

Last edited:
Try these

IgnSw.jpg

71fj40schem.jpg

Thank you @71FFJ40 @mdsims. The problem is not wires and color, it's the new ignition switch. The replacement switch doesn't have the screws in the back. They are blade type. Need to find where the power pole is out of the 4 blades. @cjgoode no instructions and no markings. It is an oe piece but I'm guessing not for my exact vehicle, but this is what they sell now for replacement.

IMG_0004.JPG

The picture above is the same one you have and the same one I have. See the little markings on the plastic? That will get you going in the right direction along with there wiring schematic

You can see acc, but the rest are just numbers.

The markings are AM, ST, 16. Any clue?

I see it now. My not so old eyes are falling me. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. @mdsims thanks for the seeing the markings!!!

It all makes sense now. You guys are awesome. I'm going to take pics first before posting so I can zoom in. Thank you all again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom