ignition switch??????? 1968 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok..put key in ignition...turn key to the right starter cranks.....seems the starter should not crank at first position to the right...should crank when key is turned all the way right....wont stop cranking until key is returned to the off position.....anybody had this dilemma?...any ideas?...i am currently sorting out the po's wiring mess...could this be a wiring issue or is it an ignition switch issue?...thanks in advance...

osagecruiser

I would say pull the switch, and check the wire on the back. Switch the "start" and "on" wires.

I second pulling the switch and checking it. and the wiring. The easiest way I know to pull the switch is to use a pair of channel locks with the rounded jaws. Put a rag around the chrome lock ring to keep from scratching it up. 68 should only have three wires. One hot one, one to starter and the other is on. I used the acc terminal for the radio I added, so if there's another wire it might be for a radio. Funny how the switch has the acc position but no radio till 73. Probably used the switch in Toyota cars with radios too.

John

ok...pulled switch looked at wires...took a couple photos..first is the ignition switch...lot o wires....second pic is engine side of firewall..the wire on the right of the 2 wires shown has been cut...should it be connected somewhere?...there are 2 possible locations(other wires) that this could connect to...

osagecruiser
ig.JPG
wire.JPG

Naw, don't pull the switch yet. Check the easy things first, like the wires going to the starter solenoid. The wire going to the solenoid should be black with a white stripe and not black with a yellow stripe (key on ignition). If they have been reversed, look for the black wire with the white stripe.

pin

starter solenoid....wires go from switch to solenoid?......i know remedial stuff but i am just learning......i will go check and report back...thanks i have read lots of your advice while searching this problem..thanks for your input!

osagecruiser

PIN

ok....a small detail......at the starter.....this is a chevy v8...1966 283...what should the wire arrangment be on the solenoid...obviously big wire from battery goes on big post...what about the smaller wires?...i may have them in the wrong position...would this cause this particular problem....
thnaks
osagecruiser

osagecruiser said:
..what about the smaller wires?...i may have them in the wrong position...would this cause this particular problem....
thnaks
osagecruiser

Yes. If you switch the starter and ignition wires it would act this way. There should be a small black wire with a white stripe that goes to the solenoid. Black with yellow is ignition key on.

There is only 1 wire that goes from the starter switch (start position) to the starter solenoid, black with white stripe, so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Last edited:
what should be their location on the solenoid...wich one goes where?...is the solenoid marked?...i am sure this is the problem...i changed the starter out a short time ago...this is the first time we have fired the engine since the starter was replaced.....thanks man.

osagecruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom