Ignition stuck in ACC position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to make my own post because I can’t find the exact problem with a clear solution.

2003 LX 470 Stuck Ignition In acc position

In park. Wheels not locked. Key can be removed. Tried both keys. Tried graphite lubricant and tapped the key lightly with a rubber hammer. That made it worse. Key wouldn’t come out without force.

There are several threads with broken rods causing the ignition to spin but not engage. There are also a few with the lock cylinder being bad and needing a locksmith. And I found one that mentioned a switch assembly.

The part number for the bracket assembly is 45280-60610. Does that include the lock cylinder and switch assembly?

Do I need to take it all apart either way? It’s in my driveway but I was planning on taking it out of town tomorrow.

thanks

Have you tried this?

Put tranny in N, insert key, crank car, put car in P, carefully try to get key to OFF position.

It almost sounds like your park lockout has failed in an odd way

The added lubricant has loosen those tiny lock keys/plates (not sure the exact name) in the key barrel. If you plan to rpelace, the key barrel, why not try to turn the ignition on and off while taking the key out multiple times.

Have you tried this?

Put tranny in N, insert key, crank car, put car in P, carefully try to get key to OFF position.

It almost sounds like your park lockout has failed in an odd way
I did use the button to move the shifter to neutrality. Key still doesn’t turn.

The added lubricant has loosen those tiny lock keys/plates (not sure the exact name) in the key barrel. If you plan to rpelace, the key barrel, why not try to turn the ignition on and off while taking the key out multiple times.
The key won’t turn at all

Sometimes tumblers go bad. Most often from to much weight on key ring. Could be your cylinder come out of place. In any case I'd start by removing key cylinder, see if you spot anything!
You can do this without remove the whole IG switch. Takes just a few minutes.
002.JPG

001.JPG

I'm not seeing the hole under the cylinder.
20200825_101820.jpg

Is it under that white plastic cover? It looks like an electrical connection

I see a hole on top..
Instructions helped

The cylinder still doesn’t come out if I use a screw driver in the hole on the top.
Any other suggestions?

It doesn’t seem like I cant pry very hard between the cylinder and the casing.
416F5850-8E80-4E62-89B2-5A8FCAB8D96E.jpeg

Last edited:
You can see where I tried to gently pry the cylinder out while using a screw driver in the release slot. I can turn the key a small amount but I’m worried that I’m going to break my key. It looks like the cylinder should slide right out since it’s in the acc position but the key just comes out.

Use a small pick or pointed device to press that tab on the top. That must be pressed in well to pull the barrel out. The image you posted is not clear.

Use a small pick or pointed device to press that tab on the top. That must be pressed in well to pull the barrel out. The image you posted is not clear.
I'll take a better picture. I used a pick and can feel it depress just slightly but the cylinder doesn't come out.

It will slide out, usually not to hard either. But you must have key in and have the pin pressed in first. If you pull cylinder before pin pressed you'll jamb it. I've not done for a few years, but was not hard to remove. I used a very small pick, screwdriver or nail. Your pictures are way to blurry to be of use. But once pin pressed in, try turning cylinder back and forth just a bit. Be gentle like a master lock picker. Also try taking key in and out. Could be you've a lock pin (tumblers) out of place, jambing/holding it in. Go easy. These LX470 01 are very price, 03 likely are also.

Last edited:
Try an awl or something with a smaller head, it should work. Wish I was there to buy you a beer, I know this stuff can be stressful. Take your time and you'll get it done.

I've been working at this for a while now. the key moves back and forth about a quarter inch either way. If I press the button down, the key doesn't move at all but the cylinder will not come out. I'm lost at what to do next besides pull the whole thing out... but how will that make it easier?
20200825_141744.jpg

Is the hole so far back that you can't use a straight awl on it? I'm wondering if the bend at the tip is failing to let it seat properly. Maybe even bend a coat hangar at a 90-degree so you can press down with one hand?

I'm not certain this would help, but maybe putting some graphite in that hole and working it with the awl might help free up what's holding it in? That's a guess on my part as this is an unusual problem.

Try turning the key straight up and down. You may have turn to far counterclockwise. Try a few position. But you may need a locksmith. Perhaps @Mauser can shed some light here. He's the best around when it comes to keys.

BTW: Picture show pin you push in at bottom of housing. This is from TIS, 2003 LX470 FSM.

045.JPG

This is from 00 IIRC.
001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom