Ignition / starter issue, 79 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So far I've had the starter motor completely rebuilt, I've replaced the starter motor relay, and of course checked the battery. Wiring is all new and the grounds are solid. Starter motor works on the bench. All I'm getting is a click on the starter motor and then nothing. It will roll start, and the rest of the electrical works fine. Is it the ignition?

Pics for attention

PXL_20211030_020558248.jpg

So far I've had the starter motor completely rebuilt, I've replaced the starter motor relay, and of course checked the battery. Wiring is all new and the grounds are solid. Starter motor works on the bench. All I'm getting is a click on the starter motor and then nothing. It will roll start, and the rest of the electrical works fine. Is it the ignition?

Pics for attention

View attachment 2836320

i carry these in-stock and ready to ship

logical next step they FAIL internally all the time

matt

Landcruiser-Hj45-Hj47-Diesel-Ignition-Electrical_2048x.jpg

1636656320322.png

AABD4794-DEDD-4146-B31D-594B374975D0_jpeg_2048x.jpg

1636656225455.png

i carry these in-stock and ready to ship

logical next step they FAIL internally all the time

matt

Landcruiser-Hj45-Hj47-Diesel-Ignition-Electrical_2048x.jpg

View attachment 2836344
AABD4794-DEDD-4146-B31D-594B374975D0_jpeg_2048x.jpg

View attachment 2836342
Awesome. I'll definitely order backups - those would be key to have in the future.

Turns out it *was* the battery. At least, part of the problem anyway. I had taken it out to get tested last month when the issue began, and the parts store said it was low but OK. But after I posted this, I went back into the garage to try to jump it from my GMC and it started up no problem. Then I took the battery out and hooked up the BJ to another battery, and it again fired right up. So I went out and bought a new battery right now.

That said, the starter motor actually did need a rebuild, because a few weeks ago it would not turn over even when jumped from another car. But at least it's all fixed.

And of course now that it's running, it's 45 degrees out and probably going to snow tonight...🥶🥶🥶

Awesome. I'll definitely order backups - those would be key to have in the future.

Turns out it *was* the battery. At least, part of the problem anyway. I had taken it out to get tested last month when the issue began, and the parts store said it was low but OK. But after I posted this, I went back into the garage to try to jump it from my GMC and it started up no problem. Then I took the battery out and hooked up the BJ to another battery, and it again fired right up. So I went out and bought a new battery right now.

That said, the starter motor actually did need a rebuild, because a few weeks ago it would not turn over even when jumped from another car. But at least it's all fixed.

And of course now that it's running, it's 45 degrees out and probably going to snow tonight...🥶🥶🥶

glad it was a simple battery

PM me if i can be of further help

matt

Battery is a sneaky one. I've had a similar issue, and once put the battery on a charger (mine's not roadworthy at the moment, so I couldn't confirm/deny a charging - alternator issue) and got it charged up correctly, started right up.

I'm not sure if it's a diesel thing (along with ensuring glow plugs are warm and the injection prime-pump is functioning and injection timing is good, etc...) but these engines, and the starters that go along with take a real kick of juice to get them turning over properly.

Hope it continues to be so straightforward,
TDC.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom