Ignition lock rod aftermarket upgrade though (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ignitions lock rods. Let’s talk about this. I am looking for more information as I have looked and read all the threads in IH8Mud/ online forums as well as what I can find on google. To the best of my understanding during 1998-2002 there are 2 different types, auto and manual steering columns. I am a little unsure if 2003-2007? Was just one version? So here is where I am at. I have a 2000 LX 470. 258K miles and running great, I love it. In my effort to do preventive maintenance I have stumbled upon the lock rod issue, and have tried to be proactive. I have a complete housing and small road size tool kit to work on the emergency repair if/when needed. It is my understanding that the only way to get a “new” Toyota rod is by purchase of an entire housing. Yes, I have seen the 14 dollar eBay specials from Turkey. They are a replica casting to my understanding, and based on my own research the fit is not very good sometimes. Plus let’s be honest if you have been this deep into the dash, do you want to trust another break down on $14 dollars. All the threads on Mud have various posters talking about going to see about having a replacement “milled” or Machined, yet no one ever comes back and shows the finished baby.

So, today after much research I have picked a local machine and design shop to make me a replica in a stronger metal. I am not sure exactly what we will use but the plan is to make a replacement with all the flutes to match my application with a few alterations. While I am not a machinist, after looking at his 5 axis machines and seeing his work in action I am confident that he will produce what I want. It has been discussed that if I wanted to market this, he would set up a break strength test of his and mine for rotations PSI limits. I will say upfront 2 things, this will not be cheap, and I am going to at least have one made for myself and I can then replace and forget about it (99%) nothing is perfect. So the business side of me must a least see where this might lead. I do not have any production leads or prices at this time

I am only currently looking to gather information. I need to know if anyone knows if 2003-2007 is only one part number for LC/LX?, also if anyone wants to throw out a price range they would be pay for such item. I am not looking to get rich; I am looking to maybe fill a need for our community. I am going to have this done for me no matter what and based on feed back over the next week or so when they get back to me with production quotes I will update where I am. Also what if any testing data would change your price point?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback

I'd love to see this come to fruition. I would choose the easiest (fairly wear resistant) metal to machine. The OEM part is a cast part and is basically pot/pig metal.

I would think any decent aluminum alloy (of acceptable hardness) could be easily machined on a CNC and would probably not involve any polishing or hand work at all afterward, or maybe bronze.

The cost will be in the production, not the metal blank used, but it must be large enough to be held securely in the machine and there will be a LOT of waste. Almost anything will be stronger than the OEM cast piece or what is currently being offered.

Last edited:
I saw one once that someone had made that was solid bar with just the tabs on the end. It would eliminate the steering lock, but, would be much cheaper and easier to machine/ produce. I for one couldn't care less about the steering wheel lock as vehicle theft is almost nonexistent in my area.

thats gonna be an expensive part to machine. There’s the reason it’s cast.

Exactly. But there are other non-ferrous metals that are stronger than what was used....that could have been selected.

I don't know if that was an engineering oversight....or the 'bean counters' were involved.

I saw one once that someone had made that was solid bar with just the tabs on the end. It would eliminate the steering lock, but, would be much cheaper and easier to machine/ produce. I for one couldn't care less about the steering wheel lock as vehicle theft is almost nonexistent in my area.

I think you are referring to @scottm's design.

Here is my simple modification of his cam rod for the later auto tilt/retract column. I wanted a complete lockout of the column lock as well as disabling the safety shift lock pin.

This emergency cam rod pops right in- -no worries about getting the bottom tab to insert into the electrical switch--just point the top tab into the 11:00 o'clock position and push down.

It cannot take advantage of the position stops cast into the housing because it does not have the spring-loaded brass tab that acts as a rotation stop. But the ignition key has strong enough detents that this simple cam rod locks into the correct positions.

Easy to toss into the toolbox for emergency repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom