Ignition lock cylinder issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ignition key seems to be turning past where it should and losing contact with the starter on my fj62. Any ideas? I can start the car but have to gently approach the contact point and not overturn. The key also comes out regardless of its position in the cylinder.

anyone ever have such an issue? Time for a new cylinder or something more involved?

Time for a new cylinder.. I mean, think of how many times it's been turned :)

I would take out the lock cylinder and inspect it carefully, along with the electrical switch behind it. The problem should eventually become apparent. If the key also comes out, it sounds like its well worn, or dirty, or both. You could give the cylinder WD-40 bath (or brake cleaner) and then lube it and see how it behaves.

RockAuto has an aftermarket ignition key cylinder that works and fits great. Only issue is their key won't work on anything else in your cruiser so you'll always need two keys.
The main culprit that's wearing out both the cylinder and the key is a heavy key fob or just a ring of keys. The extra weight and swinging of a loaded key ring slowly but surely grinds down the brass parts (and key) as the car vibrates down the road.

@ragingmatt can match a new cylinder to your current key.

Hi, Try taking it to a locksmith and having the wafers replaced. Mike

@ragingmatt can match a new cylinder to your current key.
He is @ToyotaMatt now. He did great work on my ignition cylinder. Just get a new one keyed to your code which will be a 4 digit number preceded by K stamped on the door lock.

My ignition key seems to be turning past where it should and losing contact with the starter on my fj62. Any ideas? I can start the car but have to gently approach the contact point and not overturn. The key also comes out regardless of its position in the cylinder.

anyone ever have such an issue? Time for a new cylinder or something more involved?

hi , matt here

i carry ALL 60/62 seres Lock and Keyparts instock OEM TOYOTA

when ever and where ever possible /...............

here is my Lock Smith shop here on MUD ......

send me a PM ............

look foward to Solving and restoring your vintage toyota Lock issues ..

Im T-TEN certified Master Technician , and program grad. as well

also , certified & factory trained TOYOTA lock and key Tech ...........

DBE2A984-B8ED-4535-AE2D-1D400EDE0916.jpeg
DSCN8653.JPG
DSCN9792.JPG
DSCN9833.JPG
DSCN9913.JPG

He is @ToyotaMatt now. He did great work on my ignition cylinder. Just get a new one keyed to your code which will be a 4 digit number preceded by K stamped on the door lock.

thank you mark for your feedback !

i hope your 1 of a kind BJ is doing well ...........

matt

old skool toyota 2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom