Ignition key stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just started having an issue with my ignition. The key won’t turn. It feels like a steering wheel lock won’t disengage. It takes more than a few tries to get it to turn and start. The key is pretty worn but has no problem unlocking the doors. Has anyone has this problem and what did you do to resolve it?

Last edited:
So I just started having an issue with my ignition. The key won’t turn. It feels like a steering wheel lock won’t disengage. It takes more than a few tries to get it to turn and start. The key is pretty worn but has no problem unlocking the doors. Has anyone has this problem and what did you do to resolve it?

View attachment 2031082
Yes I did. I almost got stranded because I couldn't get my key to turn over and start my truck. A bunch of powdered graphite and a little wd-40 and I finally got it to turn over and got it home, but as soon as I turned it off the key wouldn't turn again. Messed with it again the following day and it took some effort to get it to turn again. Promptly went to my local Toyota dealership and had a new key cut from the VIN, and now it's like butter. BTW your key looks very worn but I've heard you can get keys cut from a picture by an online locksmith so not a good idea to post pictures.

Two areas our keys wear....

1. The teeth (bitting) will wear over time.
2. Shoulder. The key is known as a 'shoulder stop key'. If the shoulder is significantly worn it allows the key to go deeper (index) into the lock farther than designed. The ignition set is usually more sensitive to this condition. Sometimes....just pulling the key back out a smidgen will allow it to work.

Obviously, a badly worn key needs to be replaced as soon as possible. But if you end up 'stuck' somewhere...the above is worth trying.

worn key.jpg

Thanks guys. New key from the vin # was the way to go! The physical difference in the key is striking. I'm amazed my old one even worked. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom