Ignition issues on a 96 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. First post here. I have a 96 Landcruiser that when I insert the key and turn it just to the Accesory click it shuts don all cluster lights, dome lights, other gauges and basically the whole thing just dies. I can remove the key, but the car stays in this "hibernation" state for a few hours and then seems to reset itself. I can open the door and the dome lights are back on and all the cluster lights appear, and the open door chime can be heard. Could anyone point me in the right direction of how to diagnose this?

Hello all. First post here. I have a 96 Landcruiser that when I insert the key and turn it just to the Accesory click it shuts don all cluster lights, dome lights, other gauges and basically the whole thing just dies. I can remove the key, but the car stays in this "hibernation" state for a few hours and then seems to reset itself. I can open the door and the dome lights are back on and all the cluster lights appear, and the open door chime can be heard. Could anyone point me in the right direction of how to diagnose this?
What happens when you go try to start it?
Do you have a factory RS3000 alarm?
How about an aftermarket alarm?
What other creative wiring has been done to your truck by you or the PO?
Head Unit, Fog lights, driving lights, mood lights, disco ball, extra fan, air compressor, USB port chargers, etc?

Still the original alarm system. No adders for creative wiring.
What happens when you go try to start it?
Do you have a factory RS3000 alarm?
How about an aftermarket alarm?
What other creative wiring has been done to your truck by you or the PO?
Head Unit, Fog lights, driving lights, mood lights, disco ball, extra fan, air compressor, USB port chargers, etc?
I am unable to start it from the first click in the ignition the whole auto goes black, like someone turned off a switch to the battery. Still has the factory alarm, no creative adders or crazy wire harnesses. Factory alarm is still on the truck.

For a backstory, this is not my Landcruiser. I am letting a friend keep it in my driveway while he had to move from house to an apartment. when it got to my house it ran and he parked it and it has not moved since, two months. I keep a battery tender on it so no problems there. I needed to move it and said friend was over. he tried to crank it several times and at the last one it just stopped. The whole electrical clicked off like it does now, when I try the key.

Also, I have replaced the fusible link. No change.

Try turning the headlights on before the key, see if it's just the load that is causing the issue. Test the battery with a load as well. It sounds like either a battery issue, or an alarm issue. Could also be a bad connection in the ignition system that fails under load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom