Ignition issues and mystery part ‘76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I’m resurrecting a dead fj55 and found my igniter is bad. I also found this part and am not sure if the PO put a condenser on, or if this is a capcitor to keep the radio from buzzing. I’m assuming it goes to positive on the coil and then then to ground?

Also, can I get a generic condenser (Are they all mostly the same?) to ground if I want to bypass igniter (keeping points)?

Thanks!

8F2AAD1E-47CD-46AC-A78F-5E270F7246AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Condenser and capacitor are different words for the same thing, electrically speaking.

If it were to suppress noise in the radio, it probably would have been on the alternator, though sometimes ignition will make radio interference as well.

If it's to keep the points from burning, it would be on the distributor. These days, they are pretty generic. If I remember correctly, there used to be a difference between condensers for 6-volt and 12-volt systems, but that wouldn't be a concern for a Cruiser.

Hello!

I’m resurrecting a dead fj55 and found my igniter is bad. I also found this part and am not sure if the PO put a condenser on, or if this is a capcitor to keep the radio from buzzing. I’m assuming it goes to positive on the coil and then then to ground?

Also, can I get a generic condenser (Are they all mostly the same?) to ground if I want to bypass igniter (keeping points)?

Thanks!

View attachment 2323971

i have both the igniter ones and the voltage regulator ones blue wires ALL NOS

please PM me if interested

here is my HORDE :D

DSCN2531.JPG
DSCN2532.JPG
DSCN2533.JPG

Last edited:
I came across a similar condenser when working on a grand wagoneer once. In my 55, the PO put an aftermarket tape deck in and I thought maybe it was something that they put in.

Do you have the stock points distributor? I've recently refurbished a '76 2F distributor and converted it to vacuum advance - all new NipponDenso parts. I have quite a few new NipponDenso 0.22mF condensers that you can mount externally to the distributor. Here are a few photos:

19100-61020-1.jpg

19100-61020-4.jpg

Here's the same distributor with a new NipponDenso external condenser and terminal - this can run off a coil (no igniter):

19100-61020-External-Condenser.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom