Ignition coils? What are my options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
This is not my area of expertise by any means here, so if the question seems odd or stupid sorry.

Got my 9/77 FJ with a stock 2F I'm currently trying to finish up a frame off resto on and I'm having some problems with the ignition coil, specificly the ignitor. Had my mechanic buddy over and he bypassed the ignitor and got everything running, but I figured if Toyota thought it was necessary to put in at the factory I should probably have it? I don't even know what the ignitor does, I've heard it regulates the voltage so it doesn't prematurely burn out your points? He used the factory 2F manual and did the tests in the book, supposedly the ignitor is shot?

Spector has got an electronic igninition coversion for $149

Man-a-fre has got a HEI distributor that says you don't need a coil for $375

JT has got some other stuff, Mel's kit $99?

Are there more options I don't know about, or should I try to fix what I got?

Help please, Thanks Matt

could go with the electonic OEM dizzy from 78-80 and 81-87(fj60 or 40), the first will drop right in, the 2nd because of the larger cap will need the matching side cover(on motor) with the dent in it. Can prolly pick up everything you need for $200 or less(used)

I recall you can use a mini truck coil/ignitor which means cheaper. I have recently picked up 2 fj60 coil/ignitors for $40ish each.

Hmmm seeing how your 77 has an ignitor is it electronic or semi elec? does it have points I guess is the simple question?

Me I would go OEM electonic(large cap) or just replace the ignitor on what you got.

John H

buckroseau,

The simi-tranzistorized ignitor in my 75 went out and I replaced it w/a Pertronix system. This is very recent but I have been happy so far. In order to do this you will need an earlier year model dizzy as well as the Pertonix it self. Mel's kit is a re-packaged Pertronix kit from what I have heard.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom