Ignition Coils for $23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered “Denso” cabin air filters that came in Denso packaging and clearly fake. Luckily I don’t get heartache over 11 filters. Reaffirms my Rock auto, cruiser outfitted or camelback only policy

Take a look at the lettering on the box, those are smeared too.

Not to get political but it sucks that Chinese company's can sell this without the government being able to prosecute them for false advertisement. Sell it as cheap none oem I am OK with it. But flat out fakes makes me angry and gives potential bad reviews to quality products that are being taken advantage of. Sorry for my rant.

Interesting stuff. My vote is 100% fake. Ever since working with injection mold tooling I find this stuff fascinating. It's amazing how much effort they put into copying, yet they don't quite do everything they could to imitate the OEM mold.

Here's what I see (attached). Differences in the gates, parting lines, and pins say these came from completely different mold tooling. Not just rebuilt, but totally different approaches to the tooling. I'm guessing the genuine Toyota design had an extra slide or two and the counterfeiters didn't want to spend the $$ on that aspect of the tool so they modified it to be slightly cheaper to build.

fake coil 2.JPG

Fake coil.JPG

Just to play devils advocate, could the mold and design changed within the last 20 years?

Yes, but that seems extremely unlikely. To requalify the design would probably cost for more than any added complication in the tooling.

In this scenario a fake product makes way more sense than a design and mold tooling change by Toyota.

Yes, but that seems extremely unlikely. To requalify the design would probably cost for more than any added complication in the tooling.

In this scenario a fake product makes way more sense than a design and mold tooling change by Toyota.
To add to this: It’s possible/likely that the mold has been re-made over the years since a mold has a finite life span (many thousands of parts), but it’s unlikely that the design of the mold has changed. So locations of parting lines, gates, ejectors (all features that we can see) would’ve stayed the same, with only minor changes in surface finish from machining marks.

Those pieces are very dissimilar.

To add to this: It’s possible/likely that the mold has been re-made over the years since a mold has a finite life span (many thousands of parts), but it’s unlikely that the design of the mold has changed. So locations of parting lines, gates, ejectors (all features that we can see) would’ve stayed the same, with only minor changes in surface finish from machining marks.

Those pieces are very dissimilar.

Agreed. I was going to say most "good" injection molding tooling is made for a million shots or more. These molds probably have 2-4 or even 8 parts per shot. So one mold tool is probably good for somewhere between 2 and 8 million parts. They probably had a couple (or three or four) molds made since Toyota doesn't tolerate simple single point failure sort of arrangements in the supply chain. So that's maybe somewhere between 4 and 32 million parts before molds run out and need to be refurbed (or remade). Seems really unlikely Denso made that many and then decided to change the design.

The simple answer is that the cheap ones seen here are just fake.

Question: what are the chances of fakes being decent in their functionality and longevity? Being a third of the cost of pricey OEMs, If it lasts half as long then they are still less expensive!

s***. i gotta recheck the fuel filter i just got from amazon

In my experience, Amazon has far fewer fakes overall. Selling on Amazon is a bit more involved than eBay. eBay is pretty free-for-all. Amazon has a prolonged setup period for sellers with multiple verification steps. I was surprised when I went through that process for my key shells. I'm sure fake stuff gets on there often, nevertheless, but eBay is way worse in my experience.

alright this just scared me into only ordering from toyota dealers who offer decent discount.

YEC Flamma IGC107F is also another Japanese made coil that seems to be favored by some forum members here

Amazon Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom