ignition coil- white residue on top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting a parts list for my new to me 97 fzj80 w/94kmiles for a cdan order and I'm wondering about a white powdery residue on top of the ignition coil. Also I'm unsure of how to remove the wires from the coil, I don't want to break the retainers and can't tell how to un-lock them.
Since the coil is able to trap water on the top of it I don't know if the dried residue is from some other source. It looks like the battery exploded in the past, acid residue on the hood directly over the battery, an indentation in the hood that looks like the outline of a battery terminal (pushed upwards as if the terminal was launched into the underside of the hood) and a Toyota reman starter have me wondering about the starter sticking.
I will be ordering an fsm and owners manual, but currently have neither.
TIA for any insight on the coil.
JonB

Dunno about the powdery white stuff other than it sounds like corrosion from the battery. To remove the coil wire @ the coil, push down on the connector, pull slightly on the motor side to clear the post that holds it in place, and lift it off. Pretty easy unlike most Toy connectors.

cruiserman, thanks for the info on the coil wire, there are two other wire (tach maybe?) on the coil and you are right about Toy wire connections being a biatch.

Anybody have an opinion on the lifespan of the coil?

JonB

They work until they don't. I carry a spare.

yeah, you are right. I carry a spare for the 4runner. I'll get a spare for the 80.
Thanks,
JonB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom