Ignition circuit tap in cargo area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JLH

SILVER Star
Threads
Wanting to find an ignition circuit I can tap for switching on a dc-dc converter, ideally in the cargo area where I want to mount the converter. My first thought is the ac inverter must have one but I've got drawers installed so pulling that panel will be difficult. Running a wire from up front would work as well. Any other suggestions?

Wanting to find an ignition circuit I can tap for switching on a dc-dc converter, ideally in the cargo area where I want to mount the converter. My first thought is the ac inverter must have one but I've got drawers installed so pulling that panel will be difficult. Running a wire from up front would work as well. Any other suggestions?

Possibly another solution.

Which DC-DC converter are you using? Some have smart engine detection strategies that don't required tapping an ignition circuit. Victrons Orion-Tr_Smart series comes to mind.

Possibly another solution.

Which DC-DC converter are you using? Some have smart engine detection strategies that don't required tapping an ignition circuit. Victrons Orion-Tr_Smart series comes to mind.
Its a 20a Renogy with a ignition sense, the application is for intermittent charging. I'm tempted to go with the powerworxs charger but it's max 8 amp and I'd have to remember to unplug it. I found the thread discussing the orion, having that feature and bluetooth is a nice but I'm not intending continuous use.

Its a 20a Renogy with a ignition sense, the application is for intermittent charging. I'm tempted to go with the powerworxs charger but it's max 8 amp and I'd have to remember to unplug it. I found the thread discussing the orion, having that feature and bluetooth is a nice but I'm not intending continuous use.

Gotcha.

As I have both the Renogy and Victron, Renogies installed in my travel trailer... I made the call to install a Victron in my 200-series on space savings alone. It's about 1/2 the physical size of the Renogy. With the added smart features and BT, was worth the incremental higher cost. Maybe food for thought.

In the cargo area, there's also the factory 120V inverter. Might be able to find an ignition tap there?

Maybe just put a 30A switch in front of the Dc to DC. That way you can turn it on when you want and still get the benefit of only charging while running.

Maybe just put a 30A switch in front of the Dc to DC. That way you can turn it on when you want and still get the benefit of only charging while running.

I guess I didn't finish my thought in the previous post, but was suggesting to possibly bonus off of the 120V dash button. The OEM 120V inverter reference could be used as the switch to turn on/off both 120V and DC-DC charger. Assuming there is a suitable wire to tie into which I think there is.

I guess I didn't finish my thought in the previous post, but was suggesting to possibly bonus off of the 120V dash button. The OEM 120V inverter reference could be used as the switch to turn on/off both 120V and DC-DC charger. Assuming there is a suitable wire to tie into which I think there is.
I like that idea. Only issue is, at least on the LX, there is no button after 2009. My 2010 doesn't have a button for the inverter, and looks like the OP has a 2014 LC, not sure if that transfers cross platform or not.

I like that idea. Only issue is, at least on the LX, there is no button after 2009. My 2010 doesn't have a button for the inverter, and looks like the OP has a 2014 LC, not sure if that transfers cross platform or not.

Didn't know they took out the switch. Thx

Not sure where the trailer plug wiring traces back to, but the 12V Aux is ignition/relay switched. You could possibly tap into that for a trigger if it runs through the passenger side rear and is accessible through the jack mount. If it runs under the truck all the way, you could poke a lead through one of the grommets.

1683216790695-png.3314507

Thanks much for the schematic @staggrlee, looks promising. I'll investigate that circuit and post up if it's sutible for switching on the converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom