Igniter replacement -> mileage drops to 7.5 MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the igniter replaced on 1992 FZJ80 where the old one failed completely. The mileage dropped to 7.5 MPG after the replacement. Are those mileage changes related to igniter replacement something you have seen here?

Edit: The gas mileage before the igniter replacement was around 12 MPG.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the OEM igniter is still available. What was installed in the truck?
From experience, you'll want to stay away from aftermarket ignition parts. You're better off buying a used OEM igniter.
The ignition coil and igniter are mounted together. Were both replaced?
The coil is still available.

91 - 92 FJ 80 93 - 97 FZJ 80 Do what ever Jonheld said. He the man.

I finally got the change to look at the igniter. It's not mounted to the coil, it's on the left hand side of the engine compartment, mounted to the body. Based on the part number and initial search on the web, it seems to be manufactured for Celica.

Do you have the OEM part number for the igniter?

Can you show me the setup in your car? I'm curious to see how it looks like, especially if it is mounted to the coil.

I finally got the change to look at the igniter. It's not mounted to the coil, it's on the left hand side of the engine compartment, mounted to the body. Based on the part number and initial search on the web, it seems to be manufactured for Celica.

Do you have the OEM part number for the igniter?

Can you show me the setup in your car? I'm curious to see how it looks like, especially if it is mounted to the coil.

View attachment 1903604
That looks like it's was done on a Friday afternoon after a liquid lunch.

The coil and igniter are mounted together in the same bracket which provides the ground path for both.
There are several parts resources available online.

That igniter looks old and used ?

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

Here in Iceland we don't have so many of the 1FZ-FE LC80s in action, most of them are 4.2 diesel here and hence the local knowledge and parts are not in my favor.

Regarding the igniter - as I understand how it works, it sends a signal to open the high voltage circuit from the coil to the spark plug. If the igniter is failing, would the engine be running smoothly? Mine does run smoothly, but after the igniter replacement it just burns a lot more fuel.

91 - 92 FJ 80 93 - 97 FZJ 80 Do what ever Jonheld said. He the man.

in the USA that is correct but other markets had other setups. i have see 92 carbed 1FZs, i have seen 2006 80s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom