igniter or what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone else have a stock 2f that gets sluggish after driving it for a while and then backfires when you kill it?

Welcome aboard.

It could be a number of things (betting on vacuum leak), but give more info.
  • What year?
  • Any mods?
  • Tuned up (valves adjusted, timing adjusted, etc)?

Hey man,
sure appreciate the help and thanks for the welcome. Its very weird. This thing runs great until you have to do a lot of dirving in one day. Then it gets real bad. It loses power, have to half choke at red lights to keep it running. And then eventually it will die. The only way I can get it started is to turn off the electronic fuel pump or else it floods and Im stcuk for a good 10 min. The back fire always comes at the end of at least a 30 minute drive. It does it when I kill it.
I recently replaced the coil with internal resistor, the plugs, had the carb rebuilt. Last year put new wires, cap and rotor.
Also, my dad put a tumbler and ignition switch on it about a year ago.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry forgot to answer your questions.
no valves adjusted
other than electronic fuel pump everything is stock.
no timing adjusted.

Where is the backfire coming, from the tail pipe, or the carb? Does it ever backfire while you're running? What about points? Does your 40 have points?

no points. it only backfires when i kill it. it runs sluggish but only when after being driven for a while . and it runs perfect before that? Thanks

the pump is located underneath the vehicle about where the back of the tuffy box is. for power we used a tester to find something that was hot when the key was on and tapped into that. thanks

Probably not the ignitor. They are a go/ no-go type of failure. Could be a failing coil or ballast resistor.

The fuel pump might be wired into the ignition circuit, so it is stealing amperage from the ignition coil circuit. It should be relayed from a switched ignition source.

The backfire after shutdown could indicate the carb is too hot, possibly because of a defective heat riser, or late ignition timing.

If the electric FP has to be turned off to prevent flooding the carb, then there is something wrong. Pump pressure is too hight, or carb float/needle/seat defective. Easy fix would be to install correct OEM parts.

Back fire through the tail pipe usualy indicates a rich condition. Are your plugs black? What about your tail pipe...does it look black and sooty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom