1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IFS Shock Absorbers (Non-TLC Topic.)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Josie'sLandCruiser, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

Wondering if anyone out there in IH8MUD land has any expereince with how shock absorbers interact with the typical double wishbone Independent Front Suspenion set-up.

The patient is a 1991 Isuzu Trooper, which exhibits a serious "clunk" when hitting potholes, etc. with the front tires - the front IFS parts appear to be fine, I'm wondering if the front shocks (at least 7 years old) are toast.

How does one correctly test shock absorbers, while on the vehicle??

I would appreciate any comments, and/or suggestions.

Regards,

Alan
    Seattle

2. Stone

Stone Moderator

Look for leaks and a general visual of the shock's condition. Then jump on the bumper to compress that corner, see if it bottoms out and count the number of times it bounces when you jump back off. If the shock is good, it shouldn't bounce more than once. At least that's what I've been told.

3. tacomafj-80

tacomafj-80

dito on what stone said. i would recomend rancho rs-5000's. i put a set on my 87 toy 4x4 when i had it and never looked back. cant beat da price. :grinpimp:

4. e rock

e rock

Alan -

It sounds like bushings - probably (and hopefully) the shock bushings.

Get somebody to jump up and down on the front bumper like Stone suggested while you watch both ends of the shock for movement. You probably won't be able to get it to 'clunk' without rapid unloading of the suspension but you might be able to see some movement.

Another possibility is balljoints (I assume the trooper has balljoints?), but you would probably notice other symptoms such as death wobble after hitting an expansion joint at freeway speed.

Good luck,
    Eric