IFS Leak Diagnoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While crawling around under the new-to-me '02 4Runner, I noticed what looked like a grease emulsion (chocolate pudding) front passenger side.

Being that I am utterly ignorant about IFS suspensions, I'm not exactly sure where to look to determine the source. Or even what terms to use when searching MUD. My only guess was grease leaking from the upper boot of the axle shaft. But the consistency makes me think the problem is deeper. That the grease has mixed with the gear oil in the front diff.

Where should I be looking to more specifically diagnose without tearing into it?

IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG

Swap out the boots, you mean? Not the whole axle?

Pull axle out, remove boots, clean up, install boots, fill with grease, new clamps, reinstall. Sound right?

That sounds easier.

What's the consensus on OEM reman. vs some other source?

Can I still drive this until I fix it?

If there's still grease in there then you can drive for a while.
We went through a couple generic remans the last time I did this. I don't know who builds the best remans.

According to Onur, the OEM ones these days are the same remans sold at NAPA or RockAuto. Looks like I get to save some money!

Okay, last question. I hope.

Can I get away with doing just the one side, or would a wise man replace both at once?

I would just do the side that is leaking. Make sure to replace the inner seal at the same time at the diff.

Even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom