If you werea gull would you ..

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Jun 20, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

climb to 3000' or so and then close your wings and free fall for a while?

I know I bloody well would. So whats up with them never having any fun like that???

Man, if I could only fly.

TY

PS: Hell, I'd even settle for being able to stick a landing skydiving .. :rolleyes: :doh:

2. wsdavies

wsdavies

You gotta figure that with the way technology is progressing that it won't be to long before man is doing some pretty badass flying related stuff....

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Well Myth Busters made some airfoils last nite .. that count?? ;)

TY

4. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Ahh, I can tell someone's read something super sweet by the name of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" one of my favorite books when I was fourteen or so, and still something special now!!!

That book, my dangerously delinquent fourteen year old mind combined with my invincible going-on-eighteen year old body, an absolutely awesome wooden fortress playground with several wild rope swings, all added up to my "learning to fly" while also learning that a rail road tie on the head hurts when you overshoot your target landing by about ten feet!!!! :doh:

Ahhh, memories, :) amazing i still have em! ;)

:cheers:

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Damn close to my experience ..

I had a willow tree in the back yard at that age from where( if I climbed to the top) could see the canal 10 miles away .. I'd watch the ships going by in the distance .. and hide away.

Later I made a trapeze and would run really hard .. then swing my legs up and between my arms and under the trapeze bar.. then as I hit the highest point in my upwARD ARC, i'D JETTISON MYSELF SKYWARD DO A FLIP IN THE AIR AND STICK A LANDING IN THE DIRT BELOW ..

opps .. caps lock came on and I'm too tired to change that sorry.

TY

6. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Damn seagull's...poopin on everything, Cant shoot em cuz there the state bird.....:( I havent read the book, But eagles do the same thing while mating...so Ive heard, Sometimes they make it sometimes not :(

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Read "JLS" then come back to this thread..

8. mabrodis

mabrodis

Speaking of dive-bombing birds...have you ever seen paragon falcons, I think those are the ones, they will dive-bomb other birds, it's insane, something like 70mph and just ram into another bird, crazy to watch...or the birds that dive into the ocean for fish, just drop from a long way up. :cool:

9. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:

No, I'd take a dump on your roof. :D :D :D

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Yeah I spend enough time sitting at the Lake surfing Mud that you're not too far off ... ;p

TY

PS: Mark you're thinking of the Peregrine Falcon of course .. and faster I bet than 70 .... maybe 160 :cool:

11. mabrodis

mabrodis

Yeah what he said... :D

12. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I used to hack Eastern Anatum for a summer job ...

"Young birds can fly in 35 to 42 days. Prey of peregrine falcons consist of pigeons, ducks, blackbirds, and other birds. Peregrines swoop down on their prey and strike with their talons. These birds may be the fastest animals in the world, reaching speeds up to 200 miles per hour in a dive."

TY

13. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Blowing down the interstate in Montana (pre speed limit) was doing around 120 in my Audi. Way up a head I watched for only the 3rd time in my life as a hawk actually slammed into the ground onto an animal. He picked it up and was having difficulty gaining altitude when he got pulled off kilter by a kick of the dying animal and wobbled right into the freeway on MY flight path at windshield height. At the last possible second (I was already leaning down below the dash and peeking by now) the hawk gave a mighty second effort and cleared my roof but not before the rabbit he was holding started peeing in terror and dowsed the glass a good one. Which I dutifully swished down into the dash below the w/s that provides fresh cabin air without thinking about it. Nice smell - not as bad as cat, luckily.

In the mirror I watched as my 180 feet per second blast put him in a barrel roll, but he grimly held onto the food and was a mass of flapping wings until he got it level and climbing again. Birds.

14. reffug

reffug

I think you mean peregrine. :D

Paragon is an adventure park in PA where CMCC 05 is being held. :cool:

But thanks for playing. :D

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I bought a copy and headed to a small lake this afternoon. Just finshed the short story. Thanks Doug! I owe you a lot for suggesting I get off my butt and find a copy to read. I'm sorry I never read it when I was a teen ...

Most of the book gave me chills .. and the end of part one left my eyes watering a bit.

I think now I understand why I looked up into the sky yesterday from the parking lot at work .. spying a gull gliding so ever high, and felt compelled to write this thread.

And thanx for not thinking I was a nutjob for doing so ...

Thanks guys! (Doug, and Turbo especially...)

TY

16. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    You my friend, are not just a nutjob, you are most likely a shaved nutjob...:D

17. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Thanks for noticing Sharky ... I'd hate for your teeth to snag sompthin. :flipoff2:

TY

18. wsdavies

wsdavies

Nice story..I could just see that in my head :cheers:

19. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Just like neutering livestock, the teeth are quicker than the knife.... :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.