If you didn't own an 80, what would you own? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice, thank you! How about reliability and maintenance costs over the years? Is it a vehicle that, like the 80 Series, owners can maintain, troubleshoot and repair? Are there any Cruiser Dans or Benos in the G world?!?

Good Questions, The electronics were somewhat problematic in the MY 2002-2005 they worked the bugs out when MBUSA decided they would continue to import after 2005; they were close to ending production but were "pushed" into production up to 2025. after that I don't know. They are reliable, they were engineered to go for a million miles so they, like Land cruisers are overbuilt if there is such a thing. The pre-2002 models supposedly had fewer problems and fewer electronics to go down. I do my own fluid and filter changes, plugs etc. I feel more comfortable working on my 60 though. To troubleshoot and repair for me isn't any more difficult than my 80 I suppose.

I am on a website pointedthree.com been a member since 2006, and there is a wealth of info there. They do have a few Benos if you will.

These are solid trucks, built by hand since 1979 and not mass produced; they are built in Graz Austria and probably half of their production is military only for different countries.

Hmmm barring any financial limitations. Ferrari 250 gt Berlinetta.

Good Questions, The electronics were somewhat problematic in the MY 2002-2005 they worked the bugs out when MBUSA decided they would continue to import after 2005; they were close to ending production but were "pushed" into production up to 2025. after that I don't know. They are reliable, they were engineered to go for a million miles so they, like Land cruisers are overbuilt if there is such a thing. The pre-2002 models supposedly had fewer problems and fewer electronics to go down. I do my own fluid and filter changes, plugs etc. I feel more comfortable working on my 60 though. To troubleshoot and repair for me isn't any more difficult than my 80 I suppose.

I am on a website pointedthree.com been a member since 2006, and there is a wealth of info there. They do have a few Benos if you will.

These are solid trucks, built by hand since 1979 and not mass produced; they are built in Graz Austria and probably half of their production is military only for different countries.

Been to the factory in Graz many times. Built by hand is a bit of an urban myth. There is a separate production line, but it moves like any other. At the time, I think annual production rates were around 4K/ yr. If people could see the workmanship that goes into those vehicles they would have a completely different perspective why they are priced the way they are. For example, the frames are fitted to a fixture that pumps liquid wax in the frame, and then the whole fixture tilts to ensure the liquid wax gets into every space. I still have lots of MB literature etc. PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Been to the factory in Graz many times. Built by hand is a bit of an urban myth. There is a separate production line, but it moves like any other. At the time, I think annual production rates were around 4K/ yr. If people could see the workmanship that goes into those vehicles they would have a completely different perspective why they are priced the way the are. For example, the frames are fitted to a fixture that pumps liquid wax in the frame, and then the whole fixture tilts to ensure the liquid wax gets into every space. I still have lots of MB literature etc. PM if you're interested.

I forgot about the wax. I think my 02 sales brochure stated something like 40 pounds of the stuff. I have 2 VCR tapes that Russ sent me from europa out of Sante Fe NM back in 2000 that showed the assembly line, and some offroad footage with pre-2002 models he imported for uh hum.. 135,000! As far as perspective goes I could not get my brother-in-law to understand the price in 2002 which was 72,500, over 120,000 now. I get the price, I also understand the price of Land Cruisers, 80,000 for a new Land Cruiser, my LX450 I think was 50k in 1997, my 60 was 19k in 1987. Just my opinion, but I think these prices in line with what you are getting considering the engineering.

Make that a W200.

If I didn't own an 80 I would have enough money to buy Toyota...:hmm::idea:

Then I could force them to start producing parts for all Land Cruisers again and I would own one of each Land Cruiser variant.:hillbilly:

Runs great, it hasn't let us down, yet... The Willy's is not as heavy, it's been running with the 22r for 6yrs, planning to do a spring over as a summer project.

do you have any information on the swap? My family has a willys as well and keeping the original engine going is more work than it's worth. This would be a great alternative.

before i owned my 80, I had a 93 4runner(still own it) a 96 4runner(sold) a 95 bmw 525i (still own it) and a 96 accord(still own, but going soon as I bought a camry) and all i dreamed of was owning a fzj80. so... if i didnt own my 80, i would own some other yota, till i found an 80 :D

since I realized I NEED a 4wd, I have had an 1989 Isuzu trooper/87 Ford bronco/1993 Isuzu trooper/ and now my FZJ80...honestly I cant imagine not having it, and I would love to have a 100 series to go with it :) but I also commute 110 miles a day for my job, and a 2001 BMW 330ci does that until I can latch onto a compact turbodiesel of some kind [read "afford"]

View attachment 1202982 I would be back in a factory loaded 1968 K10. In fact would sell the ol' soccer mom car if I found something clean like this one.

I graduated from high school in 1974 and this was the kind of truck we all went hunting / wheeling in back in those days. They were remarkably capable considering the tires we used back then.

I've always liked the early model Ford Bronco's. I'd like to have a '77 Bronco with all the "want to have" goodies on it.

A lexus lx450 or a toyo 105 if avaliable. Of a 60 or 55 full restauration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom