If you are still wheelin' w/factory Xfer skidplate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
I just removed the factory transfer case skid plate and replaced it with the heavy duty unit from Slee Off-road. It's no secret that I like their stuff but the difference in this skid plate compared to the OEM unit is night and day.

Installation is quick and easy as they send everything you need including bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts. This thing is very well built and will offer substantially more protection than the original. I got in on the last day of the March madness but the regular price is still reasonable for the protection it offers.

-B-

Re: If you are still wheelin' w/factory Xfer skidp

I'll second that. I replaced the factory skid plate with the Slee plate a few months ago and it may have already paid for itself. I dragged hard, almost getting stuck high center a few weeks back... it took the beating and held up great.

Third. I'm sure Christo went out and high-centered his truck on the prototype before he went into production on it. We brought mine up the drive on a forklift (well, ok... I'm exagerating). But as -B- points out, it is serious armour, to be sure.

I am much less likely to need that kind of protection since I'm not a rock crawler, but I feel quite a lot better about it with the protection. As usual, Christo's stuff is well thought out and worth having.

-R-

Hole saw? :dunno:

It's alright but not the best. The bolts hang down to low.Will easily get scraped off by rocks. They should of used recessed bolts on the bottom. Plus it just doeen't cover that much. I want one that will cover the tranny pan and the transfer case at the same time. Might have to make one myself I guess.

Up,
The factory tin foil skid plate has 3 bolts that have to be removed to drain the transfer case; even on the 93-97. On your 3FE you will have those same 3 plus 2 more that are very easy to get to. The plate is heavy so you want to be sure not to drop it on your noggin. ;)

For the 93-97 transfer cases the drain hole is perfectly aligned. No removal of the Slee skid plate to drain the Xfer.

I wouldn't drill a hole if it were me. You'll change xfer case fluid about 1x year; maybe once every 2 years if you don't drive it much. Removing the skid plate is easy.

If you're like Wench and do a lot of high centering of your transfer case on great big rocks then replace the bolts with allen heads. For the rest of us, the supplied fasteners will work fine. The front 3 use the same bolts as the factory plate.

-B-

-B-

You could always use a Baggie for the skidder.... :slap:

When are we goin'?................ 8)

Up,
The factory tin foil skid plate has 3 bolts that have to be removed to drain the transfer case; even on the 93-97. On your 3FE you will have those same 3 plus 2 more that are very easy to get to. The plate is heavy so you want to be sure not to drop it on your noggin.  ;)

For the 93-97 transfer cases the drain hole is perfectly aligned. No removal of the Slee skid plate to drain the Xfer.

I wouldn't drill a hole if it were me. You'll change xfer case fluid about 1x year; maybe once every 2 years if you don't drive it much. Removing the skid plate is easy.

If you're like Wench and do a lot of high centering of your transfer case on great big rocks then replace the bolts with allen heads. For the rest of us, the supplied fasteners will work fine. The front 3 use the same bolts as the factory plate.

-B-

I wouldn't mind removing the extra bolts myself, but in the winter I take my truck in to get the oil changed since I don't have a garage here and its way to friggin cold to do it in the driveway. I don't think the Quick Lube boys would care for that too much.

I'm just an observer, but I believe you are talking about two different things. When you take your truck to jiffy do they change transfer case oil too? From what I can tell the skidplate does not block the engine drain, only the transfer and transmission.

For the record, the Slee skid plate has a hole for the 93-97 transfer case drain.

For those with 91-92 80s, the hole doesn't line up with the transfer cases on those models.

It does not block oil or transmission drain plugs on any models.

I believe Up meant that, in cold weather, he has Jiffy do all his fluids at oil change time.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom