If Prados are so bad... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...then why are dealers even selling them here? Are the head unit problems common enough that we should stay away from buying any of these LJ78s?

I've wanted to buy a Landcruiser for quiet a while and now I find myself in the position to buy one. It seems like there's alot of Prados for sale in Western Canada. I like the diesel engine and the 4 doors and room apeal to me, but I'm afraid of this engine now from what I"ve been reading. Is the HZJ73 a better choice, even if 90% of the driving will be city driving?

Any info would be appreciated for the hopeful future Landcruiser owner. :)

You'll likely hear this several times, but if you search on this topic you will find numerous threads. In summary, there are significant issues with the heads on the engine fitted on the Prados. There are even some VERY reputable importers who no longer bring these trucks in because of the difficulties with this one issue. If you can find a truck with a 1HZ or a 1HD-T you will have little to worry about. If I was going to buy a 70 series I'd also take a look at the 77 if you can get one. No issues with the engine in that truck, or at least minimal ones. But for the money you could also probably buy an 80 series. Do yourself a favour and check out Luxury Imports (he's in Calgary and I doubt there are more than a few people on this board who have Wayne's level of knowledge.)

In summary, you get what you pay for....(most of the time).

Here's a thread (just below this one) discussing this issue:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=146063

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$hmmmmmmmmmmm I Wonder Why$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The prados sell very cheap in japan, very cheap, and the markup is huge in Canada. I could see what was so tempting about bringing these trucks into Canada and sell them, but some simple research told me that they would cause my customers grief and I stayed away from them.

Last edited:
The HZJ73 is much better than a prado, do not hesitate if you have the opportunity over the prado.

Some advice....I have an lj78 and though I love the truck itself, I absolutely hate the engine. I'm constantly having to look at the temp guage to make sure that it is not going to overheat...again.... and the power is horrible. The only thing positive that I have to say about the lj is that it gets great milage. If you could import a kzj78 instead, you would be doing youself a huge favor. The kzj is one of the best diesels that Toyota makes and it makes good power.

I regret buying my lj....don't make the same mistake that I did.

I worry about the re-sale of these vehicles. It might be really hard to sell one once you buy it.

Especially when you have had numerous engine problems.

Even thought they look cool, probably drive nice, and much more.... I would be shy to buy one. Or if I bought one for cheap, keep it in the back of my mind when the engine dies to install a 3.4L or 2.4 L gasser toyota engine.

a prado owner myself, i really wanted one. i looked at several in the van area until i found my present. they didnt want to sell it to me, it took a month. i was warned about the issues. shinji at japan auto explained what i had to do keep it from cracking like i said i looked at several models i really wanted it ,coil springs ,a little lighter than others. I have a warranty. it also has the 3l head on it. i use this machine and i mean use it .I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM YET. i recommend you look around and do your home work there are many jdm models out there i would recommend a 73, 74 ,77 or even a 80 good luck

my 2 cents

i love the prados!!
the ride is great. they look cool and they start well in cold weather
the problem is not the head it is only a result of ruunning too high
EGT"s and a pyro will tell you what the tempiture is !!
For years they ran great in japan were people only drive 80 to 105km If you want to go faster than that get a bigger motor

Thanks

You guys have been alot of help, I really appreciate it. I'm pretty torn now, I've doing as much research as I can on the internet. I think I'll really have to talk with Wayne at Luxury Imports here in Calgary.

It sure is confusing trying to keep all the different models and engines straight with the Landcruisers. Even after hours of reading I'm not sure if I got it straight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom