If It Was Possible... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Won't know the whole story until Monday but...I know of a shop that's trying to get rid of dead wood in the back lot.
A 1991 FJ80 with less than 100,000 miles on the clock.
IMAG0074.sized.jpg

I'm told it overheated and I believe the top end is disassembled and piled in the back. Customer bailed for what ever reason and the shop foreman want's to dislodge it from the back parking area.
My friend says it's been there for at least 2 years.
More pics HERE.
As you can see from the pics, the top side needs a good cleaning but seems to be in good shape. I didn't look it over with a fine tooth comb yet. The underside is not as good. At least some surface rust from sitting so long, the birfs are leaking horribly and who knows what shape the brakes are in let alone anything else.
I plan on talking to the shop and get their take, get a better look at the rig and find out what the repair order has on it.
You might hate me if I tell you how much they want...$500...yup.
Now, there'd also be tax probably and I don't know what state the registration is in but...possibilities....yes?
There you go...
:cool:

California vehicle with that much rust? Regardless...at $500, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, clean it up a little, and drop a diesel in it. :D

If I had found something like this closer to the BC/USA border, I would have brought a flatdeck down to pick it up for my swap.

Yup 91 had a pile motor and trans. For $500 this is RIPE for an engine swap. Heck you could make 5x your money just by parting it out.

mmmm.... V8....

If...it's be a resto, meaning getting it back to running condition for the kid and/or sell it for more $$$ for a better mpg rig or...part it out.
Thinking if the kid gets a hold of it he might not want to let it go. I know he likes cruisers...duh.

If you decide not to go for it for whatever reason, let me know where it's at. I'll drive up and buy that thing right now.

If you decide not to go for it for whatever reason, let me know where it's at. I'll drive up and buy that thing right now.
Ok fine.

Knowing Kalifornia, you'd buy the truck for $500 (plus CA tax), and then pay a $300 state fee for the guy to get a new title through a mechanic's lien, then get a notice a month later for $600 in emissions fees that have gone unpaid because nobody told the state it was off the road. Then you'd spend $500 in parts only to find out it's gonna be another $600 in fees to get it registered. So, for $2500 you have a VERY nice cruiser but will be pissed at the nickel and dimes from CA.

So, you better just let me handle it....

DougM

Knowing Kalifornia, you'd buy the truck for $500 (plus CA tax), and then pay a $300 state fee for the guy to get a new title through a mechanic's lien, then get a notice a month later for $600 in emissions fees that have gone unpaid because nobody told the state it was off the road. Then you'd spend $500 in parts only to find out it's gonna be another $600 in fees to get it registered. So, for $2500 you have a VERY nice cruiser but will be pissed at the nickel and dimes from CA.

So, you better just let me handle it....

DougM

Right-o...wait...HEY...there's a certain 'tone' in your post that's just a bit suspicious.
Tax on $500 is only $35.25 and if the 'mechanics lien' and all amount to a big lump, I can still tow is home and strip it down and forgo the registration. Might just like to have nice cloth seats in front instead of my hard iffy leathers. I duno...
Been thinking a lot about this today and kind of holding off the big 'what if's' until I can get the hole picture from the shop and DMV tomorrow.
If nothing else, someone on the board will get a good score.
I'll be sure to keep you'all in the loop...;)

I am curious though. If it's such a good deal and relatively easy to fix...why isn't one of their mechanics taking it home?

Yes, good point. My friend said one mechanic was interested but had too many irons in the fire at home.
I'll see in just a few hours.

I was thinking the same thing.

DougM

At 500 bucks... and I am sure they might even go down some more... lol..... anyway at 500 bucks you can build the truck the way you want to... making it more cost effective in my book.

no think. do.

the parts are worth much more than 500

Well, it's not about building it up the way I want. I already have a lifted 93. At first I thought we'd 'fix' the engine but it might be as simple as fondling another LC.
Stay tuned for 'breaking news'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom