if it happened to you (22re) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, lets say you own an 86 runner. and lets say your engine had a rod knock. what would you do? some say pull it and take it to a shop. some say find a 22r/22re for a couple hundred bucks and swap that in. others, buy one already rebuilt. and then there is the option of a bigger "better" engine.
as far as what i can do financially. i just want the most for the dollar like all the rest of you. thx
DSC00376 (Small).JPG

i had a rod knock on my 20R in my 80 truck.
since i am a professional technician, there is no way i would ever 'take it to a shop'
what i did, was aquired a 22R bottom end and put that under the stock 20R head.
that worked out great.

option of a bigger "better" engine.
lets get one thing straight. even if there is a problem here and there, there is no such thing as a better engine than a 22R.

if you choose to stay injected, put a stage 2 cam in it, and port and polish the head. these engines are not power horses. so dont expect giant power gains. regearing to 4.88 or lower helps alot
rebuild or swap out with a used 22RE, but please dont infect your poor Toyota with Chevrovitus

Get a short block, rework the head and your good to go. $400ish for the short block, $100 for a head job/valve seals, $100 for all the new gaskets. Good time for a metal timming chain guide, tensioner and possible oil pump. Either way all for under $800 not counting the labor to turn wrenches.

P.S. Get a new torque cam! Best bang for the buck for the 22R!!

lets get one thing straight. even if there is a problem here and there, there is no such thing as a better engine than a 22R.

Not even a 3L (edit: or 2LT)?

Still, I'd do like you said and change the gears before I try changing the engine.

Last edited:
And it's not like the 22R is really that difficult of a motor to take apart to replace parts and do some machining if required.

A 22RE is the best engine hands down in a mini/4Runner. It gets the same mileage as a 3.0, and with mild work as stated above, will perform very well. The truck needs to be properly geared for the tire size and slush boxes will definitely rob power from a 22RE. They're light and simple to maintain/work on. Parts are cheap. What more do you want?

If you're really set on swapping in something bigger, then check out some of the 5MGE, 7MGE, or even 7MGTE swaps that have been done. Very costly, but will snap axles like twigs.

thanks! so the question is. take mine apart and work on that or buy one? i've been looking on every forum for a couple weeks and i did find one on craigs list. the guy says it has been "rebuilt" with about 9k on it. he wants 750 for it. and i still gotta drive down there and pull it.

josh.

thanks! so the question is. take mine apart and work on that or buy one? i've been looking on every forum for a couple weeks and i did find one on craigs list. the guy says it has been "rebuilt" with about 9k on it. he wants 750 for it. and i still gotta drive down there and pull it.

josh.

you should rebuild it yourself.
take your time. if you are not sure about somthing, ask us.

after you are done, you will know much more about your truck, and what shes saying to you on the trail. plus you will have a lot of pride in the engine. so when you go out wheeling with your buddy in his chevy, whiles hes gettin stuck or burning valves, it feels very good to pull him out with your TOYOTA.

I suggest you dont buy somthing that some one else has 'rebuilt' sometimes the jobs are sloppy incomplete or just plain suck.
some crooks just paint the block and call it rebuilt.

unless you are 100% sure it was completley rebuilt, and 100% sure it was done with quaility parts, and you are 100% sure it was done by some one who knows 110% of everything about rebuilds, you shouldnt buy it.

Sweet Rig.

I'd Have To Say To Get It Back On The Road, And Get Back To Being Able To Play Whenever You Want... I Would Get An Engine And Swap It In.

Then Take The Motor That Has The Rod Knock, And Take Your Time Rebuild It. That Way You Don't Have Any Down Time, Besides A Few Days, And You Can Have A Spare Engine Built By You, More Power And Torque.

It's Always Good To Have A Spare, I Have Learned This Lesson Many Of Times.

But I Can Only Tell You What I Think. It's Up To You To Make The Decision, And How Much Money You Are Willing To Spend.

problem solved.

talked to the guy. im gunna buy the whole truck for 750. all he wants is the front axle and tcase. so im gunna pick it up and then pull the parts for him so he can pick them up later. even if the engine is only worth a few hundred bucks, i just picked up a tranny and a buncha sheet metal.
thanks for the advice, i feel better about the decision.
i will eventually go through the engine i have in my truck. i need to anyway, i don't know s*** about 22re's.

thanks.

we pulled the motor out of mine, the donor truck, swapped all the efi crap over, and bolted it all back up in about 16 hours. no too bad. runs like a champ.
(thanks full metal)
i actually learned alot just from doing the swap. did i mention it was a completely rebuilt block, and the head had been gone through last august? I have all the paperwork AND WARRANTIES from the shop. the p.o. dropped 3500 on it less than a year ago and sold me the whole truck for 750. nice!! I also swapped the sr5 cluster into mine, and a few other misc interior parts i was missing.

josh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom