If it ain't broke. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it might be....
I've had my truck for a little over two years and after reading a lot of complaints about the stopping abilities of the landcruiser, I figured that mine was just normal. It wouldn't really lock up unless it was wet pavement and the pedal would feel hard during a panic stop.

I often dutifully checked the pad and rotor thickness and everything looked fine. I'd worked on the rears and knew they were working well.

I was aware though that often the front hubs would be warm after driving for a while - something I figured was due to bearings.
I had the wheels off the other day to adjust the drag links and noticed the hubs were hard to turn and that the pads were not loosening off the rotors.

Long story short - I pulled the calipers and found that on the right - only 1 of the 4 pistons was working - on the left 2 out of the 4 were working. The rest were seized solid.

It kind of blew my mind - I have always been used to vehicles that really started to behave poorly when things start failing. My old VW van would jump sideways three lanes if a front caliper ever failed.
The cruiser stopped straight and fairly well with most of the front brakes completely screwed!

So Moral of the story is -
If it don't seem to be broke - you may have to fix it anyway...

Any of you guys found stuff that you thought was working fine - but was really only still functioning by the grace of the indestructible cruiser gods???

Aren't there only 2 pistons per caliper? One large and one small??

Did you upgrade to 4runner calipers while you were in there?

Aren't there only 2 pistons per caliper? One large and one small??

Did you upgrade to 4runner calipers while you were in there?

2 on each side of each caliper. When I did my brakes, I had 1 of the 8 pistons that I couldn't get free.

Last edited:
I had about 1 billion vacuum leaks before I tore my cruiser apart. A sample would be a rusted open Air Injection Rail. Also for a while my brake proportioning valve was bad so I had no rear brakes! It felt okay though. Silly Landcruiser

See you guys are looking at this all wrong. If you were in ANY other vehicle it would have burned to the ground, not stopped at all or not started at all. Instead its a testament to how well built Landcruisers are, to think you can still stop your truck with 3 out of 8 pistons and it still feel "normal" to you.

it might be....
I had the wheels off the other day to adjust the drag links and noticed the hubs were hard to turn and that the pads were not loosening off the rotors.

Long story short - I pulled the calipers and found that on the right - only 1 of the 4 pistons was working - on the left 2 out of the 4 were working. The rest were seized solid.

Could also be a contributing factor to poor gas mileage as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom